How Long Should I Wait After Having a Hernia Repair and Tubal Ligation to Do a Tummy Tuck?

I am a healthy 37 year old at 5'1" & 130lbs. Most of my fat and lose skin is on my belly from having had three children.

Tummy tuck timing with tubal ligation

+2

I see no reason why those procedures could not be performed at the same time as your tummy tuck. It is commonly performed that way. It would save you having only one recovery period and usually will save you some money on anesthesia and operating room costs.

if you wish to have them separately, it is really your decision if all heals well, on when you can get more time off from work etc.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Wait After Having a Hernia Repair and Tubal Ligation to Do a Tummy Tuck?

+2

If your surgeons can coordinate, doing these at the same setting makes sense to me--only one period of recovery will be needed. This doesn't always work due to the operating rooms at which each works, but worth pursuing. 

Otherwise it depends on the nature of the hernia (abdomen or groin) and whether some mesh is used, which is customary. If there is mesh and the hernia is abdominal, six weeks seems reasonable. If no mesh, or if it is a groin hernia, whenever you feel up to it, and that may be a couple of weeks. 

But see if you can't get some cooperation among the surgeons.

Hernia repair and tummy tuck

+2

These can potentially be done all together.  Depending on the type of hernia (umbilical vs. inguinal vs. incisional) and the type of repair you need (suture closure vs. mesh), your plastic surgeon may feel comfortable enough, depending on his or her general surgery background, to take care of it.  Discuss, coordinate, because the procedures combined are short enough to allow for one anesthesia and recovery.

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

Hernia repair tubal ligation and a tummy tuck

+2

It is actually potentially possible to do all these at one time depending on how your doctors can coordinate their schedules and if they think it is reasonable.  Otherwise maybe wait 6 weeks between them.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Timing

+1

You can have all these done together. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon. You will save time for recovery and some expense. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon