How Long Should I Wait After a Breaking a Leg to Have my Mommy Makeover?

I was scheduled for a mommy makeover in December however I was in a motorcycle accident in sept and broke my femur. I had to have it surgically repaired with a metal rod placed in it. My question is how long do I need to wait before I can have my mommy makeover? I know it takes a year for the bone to fully heal would it be asking too much of my body to do the surgery while the bone is still healing? Or will I be ok at the point I can walk without limping? Would march be ok?

How long should I wait after a femur fracture to get a Mommy Makeover?

+2

I would concur with the previous surgeons who all recommended getting preoperative clearance from your orthopedic surgery before moving forward with a Mommy Makeover procedure.  This type of fracture puts you at much higher risk for clotting issues.  In addition, the tummy tuck itself will make it more challenging for you to ambulate right after surgery and so you want to do everything you can to make sure this is a non-issue before.  

Best of luck!  I hope that helps!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Waiting time for Mommy Makeover after femur fracture

+2

Given your fracture, you may be at increased risk for blood clots with any lengthy procedures.  You wanted to be fully healed and ambulating well before considering elective surgery.   Once you are cleared to ambulated as tolerated with no restrictions by your orthopedic surgeon, then please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+2

A femur fracture is a big risk factor for deep venous thrombosis (leg vein clots) and pulmonary embolism (clots migrating to the lung). The surgery you are considering is also a risk, and added together, it would be safer to do this after a delay. 

The fracture risk on the risk sheets (Caprini score) lasts for a month, but probably lasts to some degree for longer. 

March sounds reasonable, if your are off your anticoagulants (if indeed you are on any). You will most likely need to use injections of Lovenox for a week or so after the makeover because of your elevated risks.

This would be the time to begin the consultation process if you have not already, so that the clotting risks can be properly managed. 

Thanks for your question,  all the best. 

Mommy Makeover after Femur Fracture

+1

In general, you should have healed completely and be fully ambulatory prior to the mommy makeover to minimize DVT and PE risk.  Clearance from the orthopedic surgeon would be advised, but 3 months of uneventful healing probably puts you a risk similar to a person without a fracture.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

A mommy makeover combination of operations should be delayed for months after a broken femur.

+1

Broken femur is a serious fracture can be associated with blood clots in the leg. In abdominoplasty, which is part of a mommy makeover, also increases the risk for blood clots. The patient should be fully recovered from the broken leg before pursuing the operation.

Wait until fully mobile for mommy makeover after injury

+1

After a mommy makeover it is important to be able to get up and walk so as to minimize the risk of blood clots. After a fractured femur, it isn't necessarily important to have it 100% healed but you should be pain free and able to move without limitation.

Richard Baxter, MD