How Long Should I Wait After Alar Base Reduction to See Results? (photo)

I had an alar base reduction done (no other procedure) 2 weeks ago and right now my nose is the same size as before surgery!! It's so hard to believe that I had surgery done.My problem has always been a really large base, which got bigger every time I smile. How long after surgery will the base continue to change for? Over time, will the base continue to get smaller/change or no? I was already thinking about an additional reduction if it doesn't change in 2 months-is this bad? I am just worried!

Swelling may make alar base reduction results difficult to appreciate early on

+1

Thank you for the question.  Swelling can certainly make the results of an alar base reduction hard to notice.  I wold definitely wait at least one month or two to start evaluating your final result.  The good news is that an alar base reduction can be performed under local anesthesia and additional tissue can be removed if needed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Post Alar reduction swelling takes time

+1

Two weeks post alar base reduction surgery is to soon to determine any results. See your treating surgeon for a follow up visit and voice your concerns so he/she may help set your mind at ease. You will start seeing the swelling slowly dissipate over time and no revision procedure should be done for a year. Best regards and quick healing!

Michael Elam, MD