How Long to Wait to Do Abdominal Exercises After Surgery?

I had diastasis recti after my 2nd son. After my 3rd son the surgeon sewed the stomach muscle back together during the c-section. It will be a year the 29th of June that the muscle has been sewn together. I have been doing the Tupler technique for about 4 months. Would it be safe to start doing crunches a little at a time now? I have been afraid of tearing the muscle again.

Activity level after Surgery

+3

At 1 year, the scar created by sewning your muscles together is as strong as it is going to get. 

The benefits of exercise at this point are much greater than the risks of tearing the muscle.

It is time to get out and enjoy exercising again.

Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Situps and abdominal exercise after tummy tuck

+3

I let my patients resume cardio and exercise at 2 weeks after a tummy tuck (but no weights). At 4 weeks they can do weights.  At 6 weeks they can do situps and "abdominal crunches".  That is that last thing to wait on to ensure the plication sutures don't come loose!  so I do think it's important to wait the full 6 weeks for ab workouts. I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD

Abdominal Exercise

+2

Most of the time, a patient can resume full normal activity 6 weeks after any surgery. With it being a year from your procedure, I feel pretty confident you can exercise the abdominal muscles any way you wish.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Abdominal workout after tummy tuck

+2

Hi, the usual recomendation for resuming abdominal excercises after a tummy tuck with muscle repair is 6 weeks. being a year out now, it should be ok for you to resume all kinds of abdominal exercises.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Exercise after muscle tightening

+1

I would recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks (i.e. working out / sit ups).  You need to give time for everything to heal.    Please talk to your MD about his/her recommendations.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Exercise after abdominal muscle repair

+1

I tell my patients that if they heal normally, they should expect to have no limitations in abdominal exercise at 6 weeks after surgery. You really should have no concerns about any activity at this point.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How Long to Wait to Do Abdominal Exercises After Surgery? ANS:

+1

Normally a you can start doing core work in about six weeks after a TT ....but....most of the utilize patients are still too sore for full activity but by one year you should be fine..People that have true Hernias are always at risk to develop new ones their whole life so take it easy!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon