How Long Does a Veneer Last?

I am having a veneer (3/4 crown) on my front central tooth. The bottom half was chipped off. How many years do you think I could get out of the veneer? Would it be possible to get 20 years on this restoration as long as I do not bite into anything very hard? Also, when my denstist cleans my teeth, are there any special precautions she must take on the veneer?

Veneers can usually last 10-20 years

+3

Depending on how much of the edge of your tooth needs to be replaced with the veneer, it is reasonable to expect somewhere between 10-20 years of service.  Also, you must be careful with it and your dentist will clean it a little differently than she would your other teeth.  Other factors that determine how long veneers last are what your bite is like, how good your oral hygiene is at home, if you have your teeth cleaned and checked when your dentist recommends, just to name a few.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers last many years

+3

Great question. Properly made and bonded porcelain veneers will last longer than any dental restoration with the exception of Gold. Twenty years is a realistic expectation. There are occasional failures due to the technique or trauma to the porcelain from a blow, grinding teeth, or using teeth as tools. Avoid any abrasive toothpastes with veneers and use a soft brush. .

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

15-20 years lifetime for veneers..

+2

The one thing that makes a veneer fail are the cosmetic aspects of it. When the gum recedes back or away from the veneer and you can see the tooth underneath,then its time to get a new veneer. You can prevent this by regular dental checkups and brushing softly and flossing. When you get a dental cleaning make sure they use porcelain polish on the veneer,NOT pumice.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Twenty years is reasonable

+2

Most dentists estimate 20 years for a veneer to last.  The reason most veneers fail is by the patient doing something they shouldn't.  (Ask me how I know?  Did it to my own veneer.)  Using your teeth as a tool, like opening packages or stripping wire will likely fracture a veneer.  The other thing that cause failure of a veneer is to get decay under it.  This can usually be repaired if caught early.  This is why it is important to have regular check ups.  

Tom Hedge, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist