How Long Does Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery Last? (photo)

I had mine done nine years ago. Now lower eyes are saggy and wrinkly when smiling. Should I have it done again?

Maybe..

+2

These photos definitely help, but a hands on examination consultation is invaluable. You may benefit from laser resurfacing rather than direct excision of skin.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

9 years of aging after blepharoplasty.

+2

Revision blepharoplasty can be done with removal of the excess skin, removal of excess fat along with repositioning of the fat in your eyelid hollows. 

Eye surgery and long term results

+2

As you demonstrate in the picture, you appear to have lax skin in the lower lid that may need to conservatively removed. It is best to go for a consultation. Good luck!

Lasting results

+2

All surgery is permanent, but eyelid surgery may "hold" you for five to fifteen years depending on the type of surgery and the initial results thereof. 

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duration of eyelift

+2
Every patient is different. Aging and genetics vary. If you are a smoker, this will affect the quality and the duration of the result as well. You could consider reoperation or try Restylane to see if that offers you a reasonable improvement.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How Long Does Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery Last?

+1

No, once an upper eyelid surgery is performed, it rarely needs to be done again.  With aging, the upper eyelids can once again appear full but this time it's from the eyebrows falling lower in position.  A consultation with a plastic and cosmetic surgeon can detrmine whether this is indeed the case.  The lower eyelids can have additional fat herniation but may also just have some degree of loose, wrinkled skin that responds better to a chemical peel or skin pinch technique.  Hope this helps. 

Wrinkling 9 years after blepharoplasty

+1

You appear to have skin excess of the lower eyelids, hard to comment on the upper eyelids based on your picture.  The skin excess can be removed concervatively; it does not seem to be any fat excess that needs to be addressed. You also have a so-called "tear trough" deformity (grooves under the eyes), which may be improved with fillers. The exact treatment plan needs to be decided upon during your consultation, but there are definitely some options.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Lower eyelid surgery will help.

+1

Hi.

If you look carefully at the picture soon after surgery, your lower lids are quite hollow.  That's probably why the surgery has not "held up" longer.  Correcting this with a revision will probably help you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Longevity of Eyelid Surgery

+1

When it comes to how long eyelid surgery lasts, every patient is different.  I tell my patients that we can set the clock of aging back, but we cannot stop it.  With this in mind, I tell my patients to expect eyelid surgery to last 5-10 years.  It is not unusual for patients to need more surgery after this length of time.  I recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon for an evaluation to see if you would benefit from eyelid surgery.  You can find an oculopastic surgeon near you at their website, asoprs(dot)org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon