How Long Does a Tummy Tuck with Lipo Take to Heal?

For a birthday gift, my friend treated me to a tummy tuck- liposuction she treated herself as well. But it was done in her country she healed fast and great but me it's been 7wks and I'm still draining and I'm scared cause we,re home now n I hear no surgeon will see no other dr. patient..i need help, I need surgeon to see me

Tummy tuck in another country; now having problems healing!

+4

Dear Nett, it's not that surgeons "won't see" patients operated-on by other surgeons (I do it all the time), it's that you (or in this case your friend) paid someone else to do the work, and then you perhaps "expect" someone else to help you out for free! If you took your car to a repair shop and (despite good intentions and perhaps good work on others' cars) had a persistent problem, would you go to another repair shop and ask them to fix it? Of course you would, but you would also expect to pay again. It's funny that patients in this situation who get a "bargain" operation overseas and then end up with a problem "expect" that someone with the proper training and expertise will "fix them up" for free! (The sad reality is that in my practice I either take care of them for free, or for very limited cost, when I should probably charge them double for their lack of good judgment!)

You need to see an experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeon in your area and have things looked at and a plan recommended. Offer to pay. Expect to pay.

Drainage at 7 weeks is not normal, and the longer you wait, the more likely that another operation will be necessary (at your own cost this time, unless you have a really charitable friend). Good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and healing time

+2

Usually most patients are well healed at 6 weeks following a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and liposuction.  If you are having problems following your tummy tuck surgery and had your surgery performed in a foreign country, you can still be seen here in the US by a local plastic surgeon.  I routinely see patients who have had surgeries performed elsewhere.  Call your local medical society or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for a list of doctors in your area. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Complications after tummy tuck

+2

It sounds like you are having a wound healing problem. I recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area as soon as possible; there are many good plastic surgeons in the New Jersey and New York area that will be able to assist you.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

How long does a Tummy Tuck with Lipo take to heal?

+2

Now a days, tummy tuck and liposuction are a common combonation. Usually it requires patients to take time off from work and most of their daily activites for two or three weeks. They can start exercising around four weeks to five weeks, and final results will be anywhere from two to three months after surgery.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Healing After Abdominoplasty

+2

Most swelling after abdominoplasty and liposuction takes a full 3 months to heal although it can easy take a bit longer for all the swelling to resolve.  Be patient, watch your diet,  and resume your exercise plan as directed by your surgeon and you will get better.

Steven Holzman, MD

Tummy tuck

+1
Most people Are well healed about 6 weeks. The fact that you are still draining 7 weeks after and abdominoplasty is very concerning. There is a reason the going to a board certified plastic surgeon is recommended.

David L. Abramson, MD