How Long Does the Swelling Last from a Tummy Tuck That Was Performed with Liposuction? (Photos)

I had a tummy tuck combined with liposuction to the flanks, upper abdomin, and back done 3 monthes ago but I am noticing some swelling. Mainly to my lower abdominal area and my lower back. How long will it take until the swelling is completely gone?

Tummy tuck and Liposuction Results

+2

Thank you for the question and picture. 

The majority the swelling dissipates between 3 and 6 months after surgery. However, you will not see the end results of surgery until approximately one year after the tummy tuck procedure.

Although not relevant in your case, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top (flank) area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

How Long Does the Swelling Last from a Tummy Tuck That Was Performed with Liposuction?

+1

I think the swelling on your lower back will likely go away over the next three months. As to the swelling on the lower part of your tummy tuck, it also can go away, but there is a small percentage of cases where it needs a little touch p liposuction after 8-12 months to flatten it out a bit more.

Julio Garcia, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Most of the swelling is gone by 4-6 months however it takes more than a year to see the final result.

Michael L. Workman, MD