How Long Does the Stiffness Last After Juvederm Injections?

I had one syringe of Juvederm put into my lips. The swelling was more than I expected, but I used advil and ice to help it. It was not painful at all. I do like the look of the lips, but I don't like how stiff my upper lip is, especially when I talk. People have asked me repeatedly what is wrong with my upper lip. How long will the stiffness last? I had the procedure done on December 19th.

Lip stiffness

+1

The stiffness can be due to swelling whcih subsides in a couple of days. Another reason is streching the tissue which can take 1-2 weeks. If you are concerned you need to see your doctor.

+1

The lips can be slightly stiff and swollen for a day or two after Juvederm injections for Lip Augmentation.  Ice therpy and Arnica 12 C help.  Be sure the MD that does your Lip Augmentation understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and lip) beauty for the the proper aesthetic lip proportions, size and shape.  

Stiffness of the Upper Lip After Juvederm Injection

+1

Much of the swelling from your treatment should be resolved two and one-half weeks following your Juvederm injection. The amount of swelling increases and lasts longer as the amount of product used increases (i.e. two syringes of Juvederm in the lips will create more swelling than one syringe). One syringe of Juvederm is not excessive for most individuals, and will enhance the upper and lower lips nicely. You may have a bit of residual swelling but your lips should look normal, and that appearance should not change much moving forward. If swelling is the cause of your current concern I would expect it to be resolved in the next week or two.

On a few occasions, yes, but generally I do not have my patients massage the areas that I have injected. I put the product where I want it and have the patients leave it alone. Cool compresses for the first day or two are used to decrease swelling and bruising.

You mentioned that your upper lip looks stiff and that it does not move normally. The first thing I think about is that your lip may be overfilled. In my experience, the only reason a lip looks, feels, or moves stiff is when it is over-filled, especially at this time frame you refer to. These hyaluronic acid products are soft gels, and work well because they produce natural looking and feeling results when injected properly.

The physician that performed your treatment should be able to help you through this.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Stiff lips from fillers

+1

Stiffness usually is from swelling or over fill of the lips.  Most patients within a  few days improve.  Check with your doctor.

Lip stiffness after Juvederm

+1

The lip can be quite reactive to treatments like filler injection and tend to have swelling a few weeks longer than some other parts of the face.

Your best bet would be to check with the person who placed the Juvederm. You may be able to do massage to help soften the area, but it'd be best to check first.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Juvederm in Lips

+1

At this point out from treatment, your lips will Juvederm is pretty well set in place. Gentle message will help slightly, but have not nearly the affect it would have had in the first week. Further,  swelling from the injection procedure itself will have dissipated by now.

Juvederm tends to soften more than Restylane, but will be lodged in your lips for a longer period of time.

It is good that you are pleased with your lips. If you have continued doubts, I would recommend returning to the physician who placed the Juvederm into your lips.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Juvederm stiffness

+1

Juvederm and Restylane will continue to soften for a good month. Lips swell very easily and stay swollen a little longer than other places. Check with your doc about whether it's ok to massage gently (like a tootsie roll) the area.You don't want to squeeze the Juvederm out of its position though.

Ronald Schuster, MD