How Long is the Recovery Period After a Wedge Labiaplasty Procedure?

Do any medications help speed the recovery, or is recovery already pretty quick for this type of procedure (6 weeks or less?)

Recovery after wedge labiaplasty

+1

As the inventor and medical author of the wedge technique, I obviously have extensive experience with this technique spanning 18 years.   Most patients return to relatively sedate jobs in 3-4 days.  They can walk and resume normal activities.  However, no exercise is allowed for 3-4 weeks and no intercourse for six weeks.  Eighty per cent of the swelling is gone at 6 weeks with all swelling usually gone by 4-5 months.

Recovery after Labiaplasty

+1

There ARE ways to speed up recovery after wedge labiaplasty.  First, your surgeon must create a durable repair, resistant to trauma.  My routine is both strong internal sutures to provide a solid closure and align the edges, supplemented by a double layer external closure creating a hermetic seal that prevents bleeding and is resistant to the inevitable friction the labia endures during daily activities.  Beyond that, topical anesthetic for the patient to use at home helps soothe the labia and allows patients to focus on other demands while the pain free labia minora are slowly healing.  Some patients believe Arnica Montana and Bromelain diminish swelling and bruising, and we supply this to patients if they want it.  Hygiene in the early post-surgical period is important to prevent odor and discomfort.  Beyond that, avoiding trauma (athletic, work, sexual) to the perineum for three to four weeks is advised for your comfort and to facilitate problem free healing.  Oral analgesics optional, and useful for many, as are cool compresses.

Steve Laverson, MD

Labiaplasty Recovery

+1

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements I believe the Curvilinear Excision ("Trim") method works best and leaves a more imperceptible scar.  Nonetheless, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.

Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia minora reduction recovery

+1

In regards to the recovery after labia minora reduction surgery here are my suggestions for patients.

I ask that a responsible adult transport the patient home. Bed rest is requested for 2 days with ice on the area during that time. Patients may resume light activity and “desk job” after 3 days but should avoid strenuous activity / sports for at least 3-4 weeks. Sexual intercourse may be resumed carefully after 4 weeks. I ask to see the patient for a post-operative visit 4-7 days after surgery and then again in a month (if possible).