How Long is the Recovery from Ulthera?

I work fulltime but getting ulthera on a thursday in NYC. I am planning to take the train home after my appointment. Will I really be ok to do that?

Recovery from Ulthera

+1

I have found that patients do the best with either local anesthetic or none at all since the protocol change that reduced the intensity of the treatment.  Therefore, I don't give my patients sedatives or oral pain medications.  Most patients are appreciative of this because they can drive themselves or take the train home after the procedure.  Most patients' faces are pink or slightly red, almost like you have spent the afternoon in the sun, which resolves in about an hour.  Otherwise you can put on makeup right away and return to your normal activities!

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most Patients Require No Downtime

+1

Most patients are able to return to their daily activities immediately after their Ultherapy® treatment. Some patients experience redness or minor discomfort in the treatment area, but that shouldn’t inhibit your ride home. The manufacturer states that as an Ultherapy® patient, “you are able to return to your normal activities right away, and there are no special measures you need to take.” Depending on your comfort threshold, your provider may administer a pain management medication either orally or topically. If you do not feel comfortable to travel on your own after taking such medications, I recommend bringing along a companion or planning on not traveling afterward.

D. Scott Karempelis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Have someone drive you home after Ulthera in NYC, don't take public transportation

+1

Depending on the medication given to you by your doctor to make Utlherapy in NYC comfortable for you, there is a chance you will be light headed, and it's not a good idea to go home with public transportation. If however, the doctor only gives you medication that won't make you drowsy, or medication that might induce nauseau, then if the doctor says you can do that, then listen to their instructions. We give our patients relaxants and pain medication by mouth, and they make arrangements to have someone drive them home, or go with them with car service.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Downtime ulthera

+1

There is minimal or no downtime associated with Ulthera procedure. Occassionally some patients experience redness or minimal discomfort, which go away within 24 hours.  Rarely, some patients may feel tingling for upto 2 weeks. We treat lot of patients in our practice and many of them walk away with minimal or no discomfort , no downtime as they continue to do their daily activities.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Minimal or No Downtime

+1
Ulthera requires minimal or no downtime. Many of the patients can go back to work the next day. If your provider is comfortable using local anesthesia at key points on the face, you should be able to drive home immediately after the treatment.
Unfortuntely, many providers use Valium in combination of percocet or vicodine for pain control. In these cases, you should not drive.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

No real downtime after Ulthera

+1

Although there may be some very mild swelling, there is no recovery time for Ultherapy that would prohibit you from taking a train home afterward. You should of course discuss your expectations with the clinic that will be doing the treatment.

Richard Baxter, MD