How long will the medicine take for my face to clear up to my normal skin? Will it even go away?

I went to see my doctor and she prescribed me with azithromycin 250 MG for my Rosecea I've been on it for about 6 days, she gave it to me to take for 2 weeks I'm seeing a little bit of improvement. What is the cause of Rocesea? because I had clear skin before this

Rosacea Treatment

+2

Hi Yareli. What your doctor should have told you if she/he diagnosed Rosacea is that it is a chronic condition. This means there is no cure and that it usually progresses over time. If he/she did not discuss triggers, here are some of the major ones to avoid:

Alcohol

Sun exposure

Extreme heat and humidity as well as extreme cold and wind.

Spicy Foods

Excessive hot showers, saunas, hot tubs, etc.

While medications can help control Rosacea, they do not cure it. As an alternative treatment, pulsed dye lasers are used to close the small blood vessels associated with the red facial flushing and aggressive treatments can decrease the number of times per day, week or month you appear flushed. The link below shows some before and after pictures of patients that have undergone laser treatments for Rosacea. Good luck.

Treating rosacea - be patient

+1
The treatment of rosacea typically involves general measures such as reducing stress, alcohol, and sun exposure, as well as minimizing caffeine, hot & spicy foods, and overall heating up of your body. Medicated options from your dermatologist include topical metronidazole or azelaic acid which work best for the pimple part of rosacea. Oral antibiotics, most commonly in the tetracycline family, but occasionally other antibiotics are typically used for 2-3 months, mainly again for the pimple part of rosacea. Another great option for the pimple part of rosacea is a low-dose subantimicrobial antibiotic such as Apprilon. Occasionally low dose isotretinoin can also be used. For the persistent redness, burst blood vessels, or easy flushing, laser or light therapy such as IPL or BBL are your best options. Best to speak with your dermatologist about your type of rosacea and the best medicated and non-medicated treatment options, and products to use for your face. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon