How long do the effects of Micro Needling Last? How often is maintenance required?

I am considering getting a micro needling procedure done, but the nurse said the procedure requires a maintenance needling every few months. Why every few months? I plan to do the needling for collagen production around the eye area and usually when getting lasers done for collagen production the treatments are required years apart, not months apart.

Lasting effects of micro-needling and maintenance treatments

Micro-needling(aka Collagen Induction Therapy) is great for stimulating collagen and overall rejuvenation of the skin(as is laser resurfacing), but given the skin continues to age, we must continue to rejuvenate AND MAINTAIN no matter the modality. 

A series of 4-6 micro-needling treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart is recommended to achieve an optimal result.  Once you have completed your series, your clinician can determine what maintenance regimen will best suit you based on your overall skin care goals. It most likely will include micro-needling maintenance treatments at some point, but if you continue to maintain an effective home care regimen, in addition to, regular skin care treatments you should be "sitting pretty," for 6 months to a year before you need a maintenance treatment. 

For all you do to stimulate collagen, it is continually being broken down. This is the ugly truth.This is why maintenance is key. As we age, we do not produce collagen as readily as we did in our youth. And no matter how much we do to slow down the aging process, we cannot stop it in its entirety. The aging that we experience in the form of fine lines, wrinkles, skin laxity, & tactile roughness can all be attributed to the natural break down of collagen over time, in addition to, a drastic decrease in cellular turnover. When you factor in lifestyle habits such as over exposure to sun, tanning beds, smoking, etc.  you aid in expediting the aging process.