How Long Do I Have? Just Got Back from the Dentist and have Frozen Lip Syndrome After Getting Botox for my Lip Lines?

It 's been almost 2 weeks and I still have the upper lip lines and can't eat or drink properly and forget about putting lipstick on or trying to drink out of a water bottle. What the hell? Even some of my words sounds funny. None of this was explained to me. The only thing they said was that I might have trouble using a straw or spoon. I actualy do better with a straw. Any idea how long I have to look forward to this? It also affects my smile and I'm an actress! Help!!!

Upper lip lines and botox

+1

This off-label use of Botulinum toxin, Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, etc. can improve, in  some patients, the vertical lip creases but in order to do that, the muscle that encircles the infrastructure of the mouth, needs to relax. If muscle that elevate the lip are relaxed with Botox, the vertical lip lines won't improve and if the use of a straw is not affected, then the pursing muscles probably weren't relaxed. Too much Botox, even if correctly placed, can cause problems with eating, speaking, brushing teeth, whistling, singing, playing a wind instrument, etc. In fact, even if very few units might help an individual, if they were a performer I would not consider using the Botox in this area.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Botox for lip lines

+1

In about 2 more weeks you will have more movement of your mouth, but it will take about 3 months to totally wear off.  Repeated movements of smiling and puckering may help the effect wear off more quickly.  Patients usually love the effect of Botox around the mouth, but it must be done very carefully and in tiny doses to be succesful.

Toronto Dermatologist

Botox around the mouth for experienced injectors only

+1

At 2 weeks, the Botox has reached its full effect.  Unfortunately, there is not much to do except wait.  You almost certainly will make a full recovery, but it may take 4 months or more.

When properly done, Botox can do a great job of helping to soften lines around the mouth, but it has to used in proper doses and with good technique to avoid the problems you are experiencing.

I would recommend seeking an experienced injector in the future (i.e. not your dentist) to make sure you get the quality results you expect.

Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox around the mouth

+1

Wow, I am so sorry.  That sounds awful.  It sounds like you got way too much.  Botox takes 2-4 months to wear off completely and there is really nothing to do but wait it out.  It usually peaks in its effectiveness at about 4 weeks.  You need a really experienced injector to do Botox around the mouth and we do it in very low doses.  Dentists in general are not the most experienced usually, although there are exceptions to any rule.  Talk to the practioner you went to so they know what happened and other people don't have to suffer like that.

Paramus Dermatologist

Frozen Lips from Botox

+1

I'm sorry. You could potentially have 3-4 months of this because that is how long Botox lasts. Too much Botox in the lips, or improper placement, can result in what you're experiencing. Trouble speaking, eating, smiling, etc. and Botox lasts for up to about 4 months. In my opinion Botox should only be injected by board-certified physicians, and not dentists.