Long Term Swelling After Rhinoplasty. Normal?

Hi, I had rhinoplasty almost ten years ago. Unfortunately a few weeks after the surgery I was carrying on with my friends and banged my nose which then bled heavily. The next morning it had ballooned with swelling. I was very anxious about this because my nose now looked worse than ever. There remains a considerable mass of soft spongey tissue across the bridge and down the side of my nose. It looks awful. Can anything be done?

Trauma after rhinoplasty

+1

At ten years after surgery, you're pretty well healed from your rhinoplasty.  If your nose looks worse than ever, then you should have it examined by a rhinoplasty specialist, or at the very least an ER physician.  You may have fractured your nose, but the swelling is hiding it at the moment.  Keep your head elevated, use cold compresses, and avoid strenuous activity.  That will help resolve the swelling more quickly.  

Long Term Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Without an examination it is impossible to suggest the best treatment plan for you. Most likely, you will be able to improve the issue, but you must be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to know what is best in your case.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Damage To Rhinoplasty Results 10 Years Ago

+1

Your best bet at 10 years after your rhinoplasty is a rhinoplasty. 

However, without physical examination it is hard to determine the details of the procedure that best fits your case.

I recommend that you consult with board certified surgeons of extensive experience who can help you make a well-informed decision.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Swelling

+1

Revision rhinoplasty by and experienced Facial Cosmetic Surgeon is likely the answer to your ten year problem.  Call today!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling long gone ten years after rhinoplasty

+1

If the skin is thick and the shape poor ten years after rhinoplasty, it is time to give up and seek another opinion and possible revision. Revisions can be more difficult, but can work out for the better.

Long Term Swelling

+1

It sounds as if your swelling is from the nasal trauma and not the surgery. The bleeding from the nasal trauma can cause scarring which results in enlargement of the nose in the long run. the only way to correct that is by doing a revision to your rhinoplasty.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Swelling does not last for 10 years after a rhinoplasty.

+1

If the tip is too thick 10 years after rhinoplasty, this is not swelling.  There may be scar tissue or excessive cartilage, poor projection, or thick skin.  You either have to live with the result or face another to deal with the specific problem.