What Are the Long Term Side Effects of Injectables?

What are the long term adverse reactions to any of the Botox, Restylane, and Juvederm injections?

Botox, Juvederm and Restylane are safe products

+2

The fillers you mention, Juvederm and Restylane don't seeem to have any long term problems. Short term adverse events can include bruising, swelling, palpability and assymmetry. Some of the permanent or semi-permanent fillers are known to have problems. I don't use them.

Botox, injected in the areas and amounts done for typical cosmetic applications, has a long history of safety.

These ones don't have many long term issues, but there are fillers that do

+2

While fillers such as Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm have clean track records, there are some such as scuptra, artefill and Radiesse that have a few problems. When you get into a long term or permanent filler, there can be problems. For this reason, I only do the ones above and have outstanding happiness with them.

As for Botox (or Dysport), these have been used on multiple occasions and for over 20 years in Botox's case. I'd say they have a clean record, but it is always important to watch for any updates and news to make sure. Recent reports have discussed issues with large doses, but in the doses used in dermatology, I wouldn't worry.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Long Term Adverse Effects of Botox & Fillers

+2

None that we know of.

The fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse and Sculptra are very safe for the long run (if done correctly).

I can speak for the fillers that I do not use in my practice like Artefill or Silicon which are permanent and I never use them.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectables, What are the Long Term Side Effects?

+2

Hi J,

There are no long term adverse effects from the fillers Restylane and Juvederm, and no long term adverse effects from Botox ,as long as there are no immediate complications.

The adverse effects of the products are rare, but usually appear within hours to days. The most common "short and long" term side effects are related to cosmetic results.

In the case of Botox, if the wrong muscle(s) are weakened there can be facial asymmetry, or weakness of the eye lids for days to weeks to months until the Botox has worn off.

For fillers, again the common problems are from too much or too little filler resulting in asymmetry, lumps, or bumps. The worst complications with fillers have resulted from the injection of the filler into a blood vessel resulting in tissue necrosis (loss of the tissue supplied by the blood vessel). Fortunately this is a very rare occurrence.

For all of these reasons, the injection of fillers and Botox should be considered medical procedures. Patients should seek out experienced physicians for their treatments.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Long-term side effects of Botox, Restylane, and Juvederm

+2

In theory, there should be no long-term side effects with these products.

Botox was first FDA approved 20 years ago and approved for cosmetic use 7 years ago. Restylane was approved 6 years ago and Juvederm which is a similar hyaluronic acid, was appoved 3 years ago. These products have all been used extensively and have great track records when used by experienced injectors. When you pick products like these that are tried and true, and pick a doctor you trust, you should be very satisfied with your treatments.

Allison J. Stocker, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist