What Are the Long Term Effects of Using Hyaluronic Acid Fillers?

If hyaluronic acids (juvederm, restylane, radiesse) are injected to the cheeks / face for over 20 years or more, what are the possible side effects? Are there studies for the use of these fillers for that long to determine their safety in long-term use?

Long Term Effects of Hyaluronic Acid Fillers

+1

Before I discuss potential long term effects, I think its is appropriate to define what hyaluronic acid is.  Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is found in our bodies in the intra-and extracellular matrix.  It is  form of antigen-free tissue glue, if you will. Therefore, hyaluronic acid is naturally broken down in the body without adverse effects.  Hyaluronic acid has been used for years in cartaract surgery and was FDA approved for cosmetic use (Restylane) in 2004.  To date, there is no information to suggest that long term aesthetic use of hyaluronic acid gels has any detrimental effects.  Radiesse is made out of calcium hydroxylapatite, a substance found naturally in our bone structure.  Similarly, there is no information that would suggest adverse effects of long term use.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon