Benefits of Long Term Use of Botox?

Hello, I read about the long term benefit of Botox if done continuously to get better and youthful appearance but what about the "mask face" with continuous use of Botox for long period? Shall I start using Botox early to get more benefits? Even if I only have very fine lines?

Long term use of botulinum toxin

+2

There are many claims to long term use of botulinum toxin (Dysport, etc) but few are truly substantiated in the medical literature. These include the possibility of long term weakness of the treated muscles with decreasing need for use, contraction of skin that has been "put to rest", prevention of facial laxity, etc. However, this had not been truly confirmed. The facts are that botulinum toxins have been in clinical use for well over 20 years with a very high safety profile.

I can only speculate from clinical examples such as paitents who have had facial nerve damage at an early age. Sometimes the weakened side of the face does appear younger over a 20 year period but this is a stretch of a correlation.

Botox can prevent wrinkles

+1

One of the benefits of long term use of Botox is that it PREVENTS you from developing wrinkles! If used in the forehead or around the eyes before the wrinkles are deep and you continue to periodically get Botox, your wrinkles will not get worse in those areas.  You will maintain a smooth appearance and your fine lines will be erased.

Michele S. Green, MD

Is there a Benefit to Using Botox Early in Life?

+1

Hi Aisha.  As with any cosmetic treatment, your decision to use a product like Botox is a very personal one.  While some patients would never consider injecting a product like Botox, others can't wait to start (even in their early - mid 20's).

The question you ask is a good one - is there any benefit to starting early.  Yes there actually is.  Most Botox patients we see come in to hide, erase or otherwise improve the appearance of wrinkles.  By starting with Botox before these wrinkles are apparent, you achieve two benefits. 

One is that you never have to come in to "hide" or "erase" the wrinkles because the Botox will have done that even before they became visible. 

The second benefit is that relaxing facial muscles with Botox can soften or weaken muscles that would otherwise be problematic in the development of wrinkles.  In the same way as muscles get toned when working out, they get smaller when continually relaxed, which is what the Botox is doing.

Whatever you decide.  Good luck with your future treatments.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox treatment can prevent wrinkles

+1

Botox treatments not only treat existing wrinkles, but can prevent the formation of new ones. Botox relaxes the muscles we use to make forehead wrinkles, the wrinkles between our eyes ("11" lines), crows feet, and some of the lines around our mouth and neck. Every time we scowl or raise our brow, we etch these lines into our skin. Botox treatments relax specific sets of facial muscles so we can no longer make these creases. In theory, getting regular Botox treatments before these wrinkles are deeply etched into the skin will prevent them from forming.

Botox has been around for a long time and has a terrific safety track record. To minimize the risk of complications, make sure you are being treated by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Richie L. Lin, MD
Summit Dermatologic Surgeon

Benefits of BOTOX

+1

BOTOX is a wonderful treatment for forehead lines caused by forehead muscle contraction. When these muscles are relaxed, the lines are substantially reduced. I recommend starting the use of BOTOX when these lines are visible and the patient is unhappy with them. In general, the BOTOX lasts approximately four months. Most patients come for repeat visits at four to six month intervals. With prolonged use, the muscles tend to lose their strength yielding better results for a longer duration. There is an art to injecting BOTOX. It can be administered without “freezing” the forehead in order to maintain eyebrow position and some mobility. Therefore, a “mask face” need not result from continuous or any well-administered use of BOTOX.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox long term

+1

There is no doubt that by using Botox at a younger age, muscles are not allowed to form wrinkles. Although Botox for facial and cosmetic wrinkles is a relatively new use, patients (even children) with chronic long-term muscles spasms have been treated for many years with very high doses of Botox for their muscle spasticity by neurologists. The doses of Botox used in these patients are much, much higher than what is used for cosmetic wrinkle prevention. While there is no absolute guarantee about the safety of Botox, long-term safety so far, has not been an issue.

Mandy Lynn Warthan, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

BOTOX will keep your upper face smooth and wrinkle free as you age.

+1

BOTOX works well for eliminating frown lines, forehead lines, and crow's feet. BOTOX works by locally paralyzing the muscles that cause these wrinkles to form. It is my opinion that the regular use of BOTOX will prevent deep wrinkles from developing in the areas treated.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox started younger than older

+1

botox is so frequently performed that it has earned a very high safety rating.  Deciding to have this done at an early age before the lines become more obvious, is an individual preference.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox over time can provide long-term improvement in dynamic facial lines

+1

Speaking from personal experience I have been receiving Botox injections myself for the past 13 years long before it was FDA approved for the treatment of wrinkles. I now only need it about once per year and my forehead has maintained its smoothness. Certainly, too much of anything can give you a fake or frozen look and this is true with Botox also.

That being said, there are no problems with long term usage. It is my opinion that Botox results in some retraining on the users part so that they stop using the muscle as much and therefore the improvement seems to last longer. Once a wrinkle is engrained in the skin, it is harder to treat. Therefore, I personally recommend Botox for lines before they become too deep and judicious use can be aesthetically beneficial. I hope this information helps. I would seek an experienced facial plastic surgeon, general plastic surgeon, cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist to have your Botox injections.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Younger is better

+1

The younger the skin, the easier it is to prevent the deeper lines from years of creasing the forehead. The trick is to be conservative in order to give a natural look. Botox is an art form and I recommend you look for an experienced, board-certified expert who understands both your needs as well as any concerns that you may have. Each patient's treatment should be individualized, and not be a cookie-cutter treatment.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist