How Long Does It Take for Breast Implants to Drop?

I Am 3 weeks Post Breast Aug/lift and I'm worried if my breasts are going to drop much. Each time I look at them looks like they have dropped more and more, soon after the procedure they were looking to high, but now I think they look how they should!! Is there anything you can suggest for they stop sagging?? :) I had 345cc Round Nagor GFX High Profile breast implants.

When Will My Breast Implants Drop into place ?

The final results are mostly present including "dropping of the implant" when implants are below the muscle within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year. Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Breast Augmentation

Your still healing at 3 weeks after surgery, with some time your implants still can "fall" into place. We tell our patients that it can take up to 6 weeks to 6 months to see the final results and to wear a good support bra at all times.

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast implant drop

It takes about four months or so for the breasts to drop, but a few more months for the optimal results. 

Wear a good bra

The full results of your surgery are still not apparent as it generally takes about three to four months. By that time, your breasts will have dropped and tissue expansion will create a more natural breast contour, with more fullness in the lower portion of the breasts. To reduce the rate of sagging, you should wear a good sports bra for several weeks after your surgery to provide the support you need. After you've recovered, you should continue to wear a good bra.

Implants Dropping after surgery

Your photos show a very nice result after surgery - congratulations! The implants will drop into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward will assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants).  Talk to your surgeon and see what he/she recommends for you in terms of supportive bra, etc. to support the breasts where they are currently. Normally, it takes about 3 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result.

Breast augmentation week 3

Thank you for the photos. You are way too early to make any statements about the final result. So far you look good.  They usually start to descend at about three weeks. In general it may take 6 months to a year or so to have the implants finally fall into place. Best that you communicate with your board certified plastic surgeon and let him/her know what is going on. Every surgeon may have their own protocol for message, wearing bras, etc;.

Jeffrey Roth, MD