How Long Will I Be Swollen After Lip Filler / Cheek Filler?

Hello I am trying to update my lip filler (just my top lip, a very minimal update) and I am also trying to improve my cheeks to make them less hollow. Before, I used hyaluron which made me swell really badly and I was unable to leave the house or eat properly for over 2 weeks. Both times the doctor injected TOO much and it made me look stupid. What I am looking for now is just a tiny improvement. How long would I be swollen with normal lip fillers as I start a new job next week? Shall I wait?

+2

The amount of post injection swelling varies between patients and also can depend on the experience of the MD doing the injection and what filler is injected.  Take the cheeks: Perlane has far less bruising and swelling for cheek augmentation and is our preferred filler for this replacing Radiesse which we used many times previously.  Similarly, the lips can be quite large if too much filler is placed.  We prefer using Juvederm for lip augmentation.  

Using these products, patients typically have very little swelling or bruising and can often go out that same night.  Hope this helps.  The video below shows cheek augmentation with Perlane and Lip Augmentation with Juvederm as well as a Botox treatment

Swelling after fillers

+1
Swelling, redness, discomfort and bruising is common during the first few days following an injection treatment. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. If the swelling persists after that, please see your injector.

In the meantime, you can use cool, soft, flexible ice packs (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling.

It is possible to have a natural looking result, but make sure you express your expectations with your experienced injector before your treatment.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling After Lip and Cheek Filler

+1

Swelling after the use of filler (my preference is for restylane) to augment the lips will last on average 2-3 days.  Particularly if you are doing a very small augmentation the swelling may last even less.  The immediate application of ice after the procedure helps to prevent significant swelling.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is difficult to predict how long you would be swollen after lip augmentation.

+1

I have rarely seen severe swelling after small volumes of like Restylane of Juvaderm.  For most individuals a moderate lip augmentation has only slight swelling that resolves within a few days up to a week.  In my practice, this is over 95% of the patients we treat.  Severe swelling occurs in a very small percentage of patients. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after fillers

+1

Swelling after filler injections is variable, from no swelling, to more commonly 24-48hrs of swelling, to less commonly 2 weeks of swelling. Sometimes the swelling is too much or incorrect placement of filler, but this is unlikely in trained and experienced hands.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Lip and Cheek Filler

+1

The amount of swelling one has after filler injections to the lips and cheeks usually depends on certain things related to the patient and related to the technique and experience of the physician performing the treatments. Generally speaking, my patients have minimal swelling after filler treatments to the cheeks and lips. Bruising, which is always possible and which can be harder to cover up, can cause local swelling. Too much of any filler injected improperly or inappropriately can cause swelling in any patient and should be avoided. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD