How long does swelling last after upper bleph? (photo)

I am 30 yrs old and I had upper blepharoplasty done 12 days ago with stitches out on day 7. I am extremely worried. My left eye incision is above the crease and my left eye is very swollen with webbing at corner. Will my eyes stay like this? Swollen and webbed?? Or will it heal? Seriously worried.:(

Swelling after upper blepharoplasty

+1

It can take several months for the eyes to heal after upper blepharoplasty. Since you only had your surgery 12 days ago, there still will be significant changes to the appearance of your eyes over more time. It is important to follow up with your surgeon to make sure that your healing is progressing as it should. I would wait at least 6 months from the time of your surgery before even beginning to judge the results of your procedure.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are still early in the healing phase.

+1

You are correct in that the incision was a little high on the left, so that you can see it above the crease. As it heals it should start to blend in more with your crease and not be so apparent. If after a few mos. you still have an asymmetry, you surgeon should be able to correct this.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

First, I appreciate your concerns.

+1

You are extremely early from surgery. Your eyelids are still swollen. You will continue to improve. However, I for one do not like where your surgeon put your incisions. I think they are too high, a little too lateral, and a bit imprecise for the left upper eyelid. That harsh opinion does not mean that you won't heal and have a very satisfactory result. My best advice to be patient and try not to drive yourself crazy waiting for the eyelids to heal. You will look much better over the next 2 to 4 months.

Swelling After Blepharoplasty

+1

Swelling is certainly normal for many weeks after surgery. After any surgery your body responds by making the capillaries 'leaky' so that repair cells and certain natural healing chemicals can move into the tissues. There is a long process of repair and remodeling that goes on at the site of surgery. For most people the swelling will resolve completely by 3 months but it is certainly not unheard of for it to take 6 months to go away.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I would suggest discussing you concerns with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Blepharoplasty concerns and recovery

+1

Unless the natural lid fold is abnormal and needs to be modified, I always place my incision in the pre-existing lid fold to make it look like a natural line that belongs there. I'm not sure why your surgeon placed your left scar in that position but at least it will fade over time and become much less noticeable . I also place my lateral scar in a natural expression line so it blends in and looks like it belongs there. Again, I'm not sure of the reason for yours to be in the more highly visible position on the right but again, it will fade with time. Be sure to protect your scars with sunscreen (at least spf 30) to minimize the risk of hyperpigmentation which would make them much more difficult to hide. On a good note, the repairs are smooth and without "dogears" and I have a feeling that they will fade out and be ok in the long run. If the double lid fold on the left was persistent, it could probably be revised but I would wait a minimum of 6 months before even considering that.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD