How Long Does Swelling Last After Liposuction when You Get an Infection?

I had liposuction on my abdominals and flanks 5 weeks ago. During the 2nd week I got an infection and it went undiscovered for almost a week. My doctor prescribed me an antibiotic and ended up draining the infected fluid with a syringe. I am now in week 5 and have been on the antibiotics for 17 days and I am still swollen. How long is normal for this to go on? Is there anything that I can do to help the swelling go down especially the area that had the infection in it?

Swelling after liposuction and infection

+1

An infection after liposuction can be difficult to clear completely and swelling may persist for a protracted amount of time in the range of 1 year or more.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Swelling from infection after liposuction

+1

your question can not be answered precisely as every person heals differently. The amount of infection and tissue damage is not disclosed, the type of antibiotic is not mentioned, and your coexistent (if any) medical problems are not mentioned. Suffice it to say that if your infection is completely eradicated, it can still take a few weeks for swelling to go away on the body (facial areas heal much more quickly).