How Long Will It Take Sutures to Dissolve After a Breast Reduction?

I am 5 weeks in and having a pain in my nipple. I am curious if it could be a stitch working its way out, or if it is something i should be worried about?

Breast Reduction and Sutures?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Dissolvable sutures may last anywhere from several weeks to approximately 8 months after surgery.

If you're having specific concerns you should follow up with your plastic surgeon to have them addressed directly. 

Absorbable sutures and breast reduciton

+1

This depends on the sutures used. However, generally speaking, most absorbably sutures beneath the skin rarely dissolve prior to 3 weeks and can persist as long as 6 months. Skin Sutures can absorb as fast as 5 days or longer depending on their composition.

Breast reduction sutures

+1

Breast reduction sutures usually lose stregnth within a few weeks and then dissolve over a few months time.  The pain can be many things. You should see your doctor.

Painful Nipple after Breast Reduction

+1

Internal stitches are NOT painful. They serve as internal splints allowing and guiding scar adherence of tissues in their new locations. The inside sutures used in Breast Reduction surgery usually dissolve and lose their strength in 6-8 weeks.

See your surgeon so he/she can determine if you have another process that could be causing discomfort such as a small fluid collection or area of fat necrosis both of which are correctable.