How Long is the Surgery for a Combined Mini Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

What factors would prevent having a mini tummy tuck and breast augmentation together? If patients have had no prior surgery, would it be recommended to just have one surgery at a time then? Is the type of breast augmentation the biggest factor?

How long is the surgery for a combined mini tummy tuck and breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover".  Depending on the complexity and amount of work needed for each procedure, length should be around 3-4hrs. If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that a/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Combination Surgery of Abdominoplasty and Breast Augmentation

+1

These procedures can be performed in a 3-3 ½ hour range by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience and expertise in body contouring. This combination is a very safe operative procedure. I generally keep my patients in our extended post operative recovery hotel for at least 24 hours to monitor them for patient safety and comfort.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Combining Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Often the Best Choice

+1
Breast implant and Tummy Tuck Often Performed Together.
Different surgeons will recommend different procedures including doing more than one at a time. Some surgeons also differ in ability, time it takes to do the same procedure and general. It makes this a difficult choice for patients. Based on my own experience I would do all at once as long as it takes 4 or less hours. Surgeons should never perform elective operations that they are uncomfortable performing or feel unwise for them, nor should they be faulted for doing so. However, for me, I typically perform a tummy tuck and breast augmentation and lift (mastopexy) at the same time and usually takes about 3-4 hours so I recommend this be done in one surgery and this is what many refer to a Mommy Makeover.

Not only that,if you did not need a breast lift, I usually place breast implants(saline and silicone) through a full  Tummy Tuck and saline implants through a mini TT incision. I  prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck Together is Common

+1

The combination of Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck is quite common and popular and is one type of "Mommy Makeover."

There are no typical factors that would prevent doing these two procedures together, and there are many advantages to combining the two procedures (rather than separately): less cumulative anesthesia time, less cost, less total recovery time and convenience of a single operation and recovery.

As with all elective surgery, your plastic surgeon should asses you as a good candidate for the specific procedures, most appropriate techniques and safest execution of planned procedures/anesthesia/setting.

The combined procedures will generally fall within the range of 2-4hours, depending on the specific techniques/procedures selected, as well as the speed of the surgeon, but the surgeon's speed should not be the most important factor in your consideration: your surgeon's good judgment, skill, experience, diligence and caring are far more important for your excellent outcome.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

A breast augmentation and mini-tummy tuck would take about 2 hours to perform.

+1

Combination procedures are fairly common in aesthetic surgery.  Body work often addresses problems with the breast and abdomen.  Mini tummy tucks, however, are seldom indicated.

Breast Augmentation and Mini-Tummy Tuck

+1

Everything depends on your anatomy. With very little asymmetry in your breasts and a relatively normal appearence preoperatively, the augmentation should take less then 1 hour. A mini-abdominoplasty should also be around an hour. So 2 hours of surgery time is the average. Add in to that anesthesia time of 30 minutes before and after as well as preoperative evaluation by the anesthesiologist and recovery room time, the total time will be around 4 hours.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and mini-tummy tucks

+1

Breast augmentation with a mini-tummy tuck is  a very popular combination in this age of "mommy makeovers."   The length of time for the surgery can vary with each surgeon and with the individual requirements of the patient.  A reasonable time range is  2 to 3-1/2 hours. 

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Mini-tummy tuck and breast implants in Cleveland

+1

A mini-tummy tuck and breast augmentation can be safely performed in one operation as long as the patient is healthy.  Altogether the surgeries take 2.5 to 3 hours to perform which is a safe amount of time to be under anesthesia for healthy patients.  I do not routinely admit patients overnight for this procedure.  By combining the two procedures patients have only one recovery period which minimizes time off work.  Together these surgeries create a nice improvement in body shape and restore a patient's figure to her pre-baby form.    Of course it is important to make sure that a mini-abdominoplasty is truly indicated and that it will meet the patient's expectations.  A full abdominoplasty is often the procedure of choice.  Only your surgeon can make that determination.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Mini-tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1

Abdominal surgery and breast augmentation are very popular procedures that can often be combined.  I am not a big fan of a mini-tummy tuck, because for most patients they need a full tummy tuck.  But to determine what would be best for you, a full exam is essential. 

Breast augmentation and mini tummy tuck, about three to four hours

+1

For most surgeons the combination of a mini tummy tuck and breast augmentation is a safe procedure that will take about three to four hours, well within a safe range for an office based procedure.

peterejohnsonmd