How Long Do Surgeons Want You to Maintain Weight Before a Lower Body Lift? (photo)

I am a 34 year old female 5'11" currently weighing 215lbs. I weighed almost 300 two years ago and have a lot of skin issues. I would like to get down to about 175 and maintain before surgery. I am saving money and getting very serious about a lower body lift and thigh lift. I want to have a realistic idea of how long I will have to maintain the 175lbs before I can have surgery, also find out when in my weight loss would be a good time to start setting up consultations.

Body Lifts

+4

After weight loss either by surgery or diet and exercise, ones you plateau on your weight loss it is recommended to have surgery that plateau can be recommended for two or more months and checked for your regular health and nutritionist status

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Timing of body lift after weight loss

+3

It's a pretty amazing transformation, really, going from 300 pounds down to 215.  And 175?  Wow!  It's quite the process, physically, mentally, and physiologically as well.  As you lose weight to this degree, your body is literally tearing itself apart.  It is in what we call a catabolic state.  Body lift and thigh lift operations require long incisions and substantial efforts by your body to heal those incisions.  Your body needs to be in what we call an anabolic state, with your cells able to produce the proteins required for healing.  Typically it takes at least 3 months, often more, after you have reached a stable weight before your body is able to synthesize the proteins it needs to successfully heal from major surgery.  You might consider visiting with several surgeons while you lose the weight.  Once you reach your desired weight, maintain it at least 3 months, but I would really recommend 6, before you undergo the surgery.  Body lift surgery is an amazing way to complete the transformation!

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift Timing after Significant Weight Loss

+2

This is a good time to set up a consultation so that you will be well informed of the procedures that are recommended, be able to do some research, find out how long the recovery period is and to make sure you have picked the right doctor. I personally like to have patients maintain their stable weight for a minimum of 6 months and one year is even better to be an ideal candidate.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Body Lift after weight loss

+2

Great job losing as much as you have. Surgeons generally like to see their patients maintain their goal weight for approximately six months prior to removing all of the excess skin. This allows the skin to retract as much as possible and also lets us know that you will be maintaining that weight and not going up and down in large increments. It may be time to start setting up consultatins with at least one or two board certified plastic surgeons to be sure you find one you like as well as know what the pricing is. It also gives you a reward at the end of the weight loss to think about so it keeps you on track. Good luck!

William LoVerme, MD

s How Long Do Surgeons Want You to Maintain Weight Before a Lower Body Lift

+2

Unless you think you may loose more weight, I see no reason for a further delay once you reach your target. 

This is as good a time as any to begin arranging consultation--you are already two-thirds of the way there. You may find that you like the first surgeon you meet, but on the other hand it may take a while to find one with whom you feel compatible. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

How Long Should Weight Be Stable Before Body Lift

+2

In general, 3 to 6 months of stability is encouraged.  You can start setting up consultations at about the time you have attained your weight loss goal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Maintain body weight prior to surgery

+2

Thanks for your question. Typically 3-6 months. If you plan to have any portion of your procedure covered by your insurance company some carriers require at least 18  months following weight loss surgery and 6 months at a stable body weight.

Jason S. Cooper, MD

Timing for weight loss contouring

+1

congratulations on your weight loss!   most surgeons want you close to your goal weight. your weight loss should be stabilized for about 6 months.  keep up the great work!

best wishes,

dr. basu

houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Planning fro Body lift

+1

The most dramatic change you will receive  is from a lower body lift.  This procedure will tighten and firm your abdomen, elevate your flanks and your buttocks.  There will also be some improvement on your inner thighs.  When you are stable for at least 6 months you should consider your first stage of surgery.  Of course, you will need to get medical clearance because your safety should never be compromised.  See a board certified plastic surgeon and again, congratulations on the weight loss!

Raj S. Ambay, MD