How Long Will I of Had to Stop Smoking Before I Can Get Breast Implants?

How long will I have had to stop smoking before I can get breast implants?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mastopexy where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Some surgeons will refuse to operate on smokers and may check urine or blood levels prior.  Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Stop Smoking Two or more months prior to surgery

+1

. Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of  breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend  women  to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants.  Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.

Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased. For a tummy tuck there is increased likelihood of both an infection and loss of skin because of inadequate circulation.

In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen. .On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cigarettes and breast implants

+1

Dear patient,
While it is not essential to stop smoking prior to breast augmentation surgery, it is recommended to stop 2 weeks prior to surgery. The reasons being: to speed the healing process, and to avoid respiratory complications.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and breast augmentation.

+1

I recommend for my patients to stop smoking at least 4 weeks prior to surgery if possible. Smoking will affect everything from anesthesia to healing from the operation. It is also important to know that smoking replacement or nicotine replacement therapies may need to be avoided. In particular is Chantix as it can interfere with the metabolism of many common anesthetics. Staying smoke free during the recovery period is also recommended for an additional 4 weeks. For many patients, they find that this requirement gives them a goal to stop smoking altogether. Best of luck!

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Smoking

+1

We ask our patients to avoid nicotine or nicotine products for six weeks before and six weeks after surgery to decrease infection and promote better healing.  Some surgeons feel smoking, over the long haul, contributes to capsule formation.   All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Breast Augmentation

+1

Any flaps like tummy tuck, facelift, and breast lift have higher complications of skin necrosis with smokers, and most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons would not do these surgery's  if you are smoking.  We do know from surgery center stats that you have a four time higher chance of infection to the surgical wound if you are a smoker.  That being said, smoking is not a contraindication for breast augmentation, and I do this surgery on smokers frequently.  But smoking will increase your risks of anesthetic complications.  There is nothing harder to quit as a habit than smoking, but it would be much better for you.

Dan Mills, MD

How Long Do I Need to Stop Smoking Before I Can Get Breast Implants?

+1

There are really only 3 operations where I insist that patients stop smoking. Facelift, Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck...Now of course, you should not smoke but for just  Breast Augmentation, you should do fine with maybe just a bit more coughing when you wake up from anesthesia. There was a rumor for years about increased capsular contracture in smokers but that may not be true.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

+1

I prefer that patients stop smoking about four weeks prior to surgery and remain off cigarettes for four more weeks. Preferably avoid second hand smoke as well.

Smoking and breast augmentation

+1

You do not have to quit smoking in order to have a breast augmentation.  Your chances of having a problem with wound healing are not increased by smoking. The chance of having anesthesia problems is slightly higher than in a nonsmoker, the chance of a post operative bleed may be higher if you cough a lot after surgery.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation

+1

The best answer is: the longer, the better!  Four to six weeks is the absolute minimum but I would encourage you to try to beat the habit and stay off cigarettes even longer.  Sure, patients who don't smoke can develop complications, too, but we do know that smoking is implicated in poor wound healing and scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD