How Long Should You Stop Smoking After a Dtrap?

on march 4th 11 i stopped smoking by using the patch. one month before my surgery on 6/7/11 i stopped the patch and was nicotine free. on november 22 11 i had my 2nd surgery to shape the reconstruction breast and breast lift on the other one. three weeks ago i started smoking 0-3 cigarettes per day. i am so scared that i am going to ruin my reconstruction that i bought the nicotine gum to help me stop. according to these sites i shouldn't even be using that, when would it be safe to start again?

Smoking after breast reconstruction

+1

In general, I encourage my patients to stop smoking at least 30 days before surgery, and 30 days after if they are not able to quit completely.  Obviously it is preferable to quit smoking completely, but I understand this is very very difficult.  I explain to my patients that smoking behaves similarly to diabetes and its effects on blood vessels and healing.  Smoking has direct toxic effects on the blood vessels responsible to providing good circulation to healing tissue.  In the end, the risks of smoking are far outweighed by the benefits of good, safe surgical outcomes and a healthy lifestyle.  Lastly, smoking substitutes such as nicotine gum can be nearly as toxic as smoking since nicotine is a major contributor to these toxic effects.

Southport Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and breast surgery

+1

It is best to stay away from smoking during the healing phase of reconstructrion.  I often have patients stop smoking 4 weeks before surgery and remain off cigarettes for at least 4 weeks after surgery.