How Long Should I Stay at the Recovery Center?

Flying in from Hawaii to CA for BA-BL-TT. I'll be flying alone and will need to stay at a recovery center then check into a hotel as I might not be able to afford 2wks at a recovery center. Is that realistic? Will I need help for longer than a week? Iguess what I mean is would I be able to do simple things alone on week 2?

Mommy Make Over Recovery

+3

With no one to help you, I would plan to be in the Recovery Center at least 3 days. You might need longer since healing varies. 

Your recovery is longer if the breast augmentation puts the implant under the muscle which is temporarily painful. Here is the average recovery:

• Severe pain when moving days 1-3
  • Pain intermittently day and night, days 4-7
  • Pain at night days 7-14 
  • Exhaustion week 1
  • Second week - severe fatigue.

Be guided by your surgeon's recommendations as well. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+2

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.   Your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted.   After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  I would likely not recommend a long flight at least 7-10 days after your surgery or until you are ambulating well.  Also, I am a bit concerned that you will be by yourself.  Do you have any friends in the area?  You may want to find a PS closer to your home so you can get some assistance during your recovery.  Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.   Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover and Recovery Time

+2

A mommy makeover - breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck - is a significant and large cosmetic surgical procedure.  Further, individuals can recover at different rates.  Although you may be able to manage on your own in a week or two, this is not guaranteed.  Check with your surgeon as to their suggestions regarding help and how long they would like you to remain in the area.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Proper recovery is absolutely important to getting great results

+2

I would follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations and see what seems to be the best for you.  With that said, I personally think that being alone to recover after a mommy makeover is not a good idea even in the second week.  

First, a 1-week stay at a recovery center is a great idea since nurses who are familiar with mommy makeover surgery can take care of you and teach you important things about how to recover properly.  But, recovering in a hotel room alone after that, is something I personally would not recommend to my patients.  First, a hotel room has limited space for you to move around in and walking after surgery is so very important to avoid complications like clots in the legs and lungs which can be potentially dangerous.  Also, if you need help, you will be among hotel staff who are absolutely unfamiliar with your needs. 

At least 2 weeks of proper recovery after a mommy makeover is so very important to avoiding complications.  I would try to arrange for a nurse to take care of you during the second week or at least a family member or friend to be around to help you in case you need it.

Furthermore, traveling through airports on an airplane through the security checks and a 5-hour flight just 2 weeks after a mommy makeover is doable but I don't know if doing it alone is a great idea.  Having a person there to carry your things and helping you would be so much better and easier on you.

Remember, plastic surgery is something that you do to make yourself look and feel better.  It is elective surgery.  So, the stakes are higher than any other surgery.  Everything has to go just right and perfectly.  So, you want to make sure that you recover properly and safely.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after mommy makeover

+2

Recovery after mommy makeover depends on each patient's pain threshold and extent of surgery she undergoes.  You should give as much time to recover as you can.  However, you should be able to take care of yourself after 2 weeks.  I usually have my patients ambulating the next day if not on the same day.  You should be able to take shower and do hairs in couple days. You will be wearing compression garment for 3-6 weeks.  Consult with your plastic surgeon in regards to his/her postoperative activities and limitations.

Sugene Kim, MD

Recovery time ater mommy makeover

+2

For most patients, the recovery time after mommy makeover is 1-2 weeks.  Generally you could do "simple" things alone at week 2, but this may vary from patient to patient, depending on the particular recovery.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

+2

Recovery from surgery in very subjective.   I have had patients go to their kids softball game the day after a mommy makeover and patients take 4-6 weeks to fully recover.  

Much of your recovery will depend on your medical history and extent of surgery performed.  I always encourage my patients to prepare for more time than less.  It is unnecessary to add stress by trying to rush through the recovery phase.   This is when unnecessary complications can occur. 

If you do not feel that you will have enough time to recover properly due to financing or time, I would consider rescheduling your procedure to a more appropriate time. 

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

+1

I would not recommend that you be alone 1 week after BA-BL-TT surgery.  Safety should be the first priority.  I would recommend that you :

1) travel with someone to take care of you

2) stay longer at the recovery center, or

3) have surgery closer to home.