How Long Before a Tummy Tuck Should I Quit Smoking?

Smoking and tummy tucks

+1

The concern, of course, is that smokers have a much, much higher rate of complications - especially flap necrosis (in which the skin can turn black and die, from lack of blood flow.)

I recommend that you should be totally smoke free (no nicotine products, no tobacco, no marijuana) for two months prior to your tummy tuck.

Smoking and tummy tuck

+1

Quit today. Quit as far ahead as possible--at least a month. Don't start again for at least 2 months, preferably never. Don't use any of the nicotine gums as a substitute.

All of the lift procedures the plastic surgeons do, including tummy tuck, facelift, breast lift, and breast reduction physically diminished the blood supply to the skin of the lifted area. The nicotine and tobacco causes narrowing of a small arteries to the skin further diminishing the blood flow to such an extent that there may not be enough circulation to keep that lifted the skin alive. 

Failure of normal wound healing and frank loss of skin is many times more common in smokers. Even a single cigarette can tip the balance and cause a very difficult problem. Good luck.