How Long Do I Have to Sleep on my Back with my Head Elevated After a Face/Neck Lift?

Sleeping position after facelift/necklift

I have my facelift/necklift patients sleep in a flexed upright position (30-45 degrees) for about a week after surgery.  They are usually more comfortable in that position anyway, as it helps to decrease swelling in the face and neck.

6045 Barfield Road
Atlanta, GA 30328

Head Elevation After Facelift

In my practice, patients are encourage to sleep with their back at 30-45 degrees for at least 7 days (when sutures are removed).  This may be extended based on the progress in a particular patient's recovery.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919

Facelift/Necklift recovery position

You should try to keep your head elevated after a facelift or necklift for approximately 7-10 days after surgery.  This will allow you to reduce bruising and swelling and allow for a quicker recovery.  Your doctor can give you specific advise depending upon your actual surgery and condition.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

630 W. 34th Street
Austin, TX 78705

Facelift and neck lift healing

Specific post operative questions need to be addressed to your surgeon. Every surgeon has specific concerns related to the unique procedure they've done on you. They may feel you need longer time of elevation of the head based on what they did and a generic answer from a non-treating surgeon may be irrelevant. Sleeping in this position longer than you need to would not be a problem, but if you were to decrease the duration of abiding by this practice, you might increase the risk of bleeding, swelling and interfere with healing and prevent yourself from getting the best aesthetic outcome.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Head Elevation After Facelift for First Week recommended

Sleeping in a reclining chair is the best position with your chin up by using a U shaped airplane pillow works best in my practice.  I usually have my patients sleep that way for the first week.
See the below link for addtional suggestions for a fast recovery including skin care.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Sleep Elevated to Help Swelling

The amount of time to stay elevated after any head and neck surgery is dependent on the amount of bruising and swelling you may have. The main reason to stay elevated is to ensure rapid resolutin of your swelling and bruising.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

6545 Preston Road
Plano, TX 75024

Neck lift and facelift positioning

I prefer that my patients keep their chin neck angle to about 90 degrees to avoid tension behind their ears.  Sometimes even lying withou a pillow on their back makes it easier.  But if they prefer, they can lie propped up on pillows to help with swelling.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Head elevation following facelift

I instruct my patients to have their heads elevated for at least one week, and sometimes longer. This helps to decrease post-operative swelling and hasten recovery.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

2731 Executive Park Drive
Weston, FL 33331