How Long Do Seromas Last?

I had breast reduction surgery 8 weeks ago and little has changed. I have complained to my PS that this is not the size I wanted to be. He said that the surgery he did was much different than the anchor scar techinique and I have seromas , they will get smaller and it will take 6 months to see the final result... How long do seromas last in the breast after surgery and does it eventually go away and I will be smaller? I keep thinking that 6 months is way to long to wait....

How Long Do Seromas Last?

+3

Hi catlaw7,

It sounds like you are worried that your reduction is inadequate. Certainly seromas and post operative swelling will contribute to your current size. Post operative swelling by its nature will settle down and may take 3-6 months. Depending on the size of the seroma, this may or may not settle with time and may even require interventions ranging from aspirations to open drainage.

I too would advocate waiting unless you are getting symptoms from your seroma such as discomfort or infections or if they are a large volume.

Hope all goes well.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Seromas after breast reduction

+2

Large seromas require intervention and drainage.  In some cases, small seromata can be allowed to resolve spontaneously over time and this can take several months.  Full surgical healing takes a full year so your surgeon's statement about waiting six months to assess the result is on target.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Seromas and breast

+2

Some seromas resorb and some do not. It really depends upon the size.   Follow closely with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Concerns about Breast Size after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. When it comes to specific advise, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource.  I think that he is giving you good advice when he suggests that you wait 6 months before evaluating the end results of the procedure performed. Undoubtedly, the breasts  will change between now and then.  Whether or not you have true "seromas"  or normal postoperative swelling, your plastic surgeon will be able to diagnose best.

I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up. Hopefully, you will be pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Large seromas after breast reduction are most unusual and should be drained.

+1

From the description it's difficult to say whether a seroma does indeed exist. However, sizable seromas should be drained in the office with the needle.

Hard to predict the long term outcome of seromas

+1
Seromas may spontaneously resolve, or they may persist if left untreated. If it doesn't look like the seroma will go away on its own, my management of seromas consists of serial aspirations of the seroma fluid from the wound until the seroma resolves. If it appears that needle aspiration is not helping to permanantly remove the seroma, then opening the wound with removal of the seroma capsule and placement of a drain would be my next plan of treatment. Hope this helps. Thank you for sharing your concerns and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD