How Long Do Sensitive, Firm Bumps Last After Liposuction? (photo)

I had tumescent liposuction to my upper/lower abdomen, flanks,& back 7 weeks ago with a total of 4.5 liters of fat removed and I have a few areas I'm concerned about. They look like 2 large unsightly bumps and feel firm, but not hardened. Everything else feels fairly normal, aside from localized numbness. When I move about the area feels tight and uncomfortable, similar to sore muscles. My right side healed well, but my left side is asymmetrical in comparison. Will these lumps go away?

Liposuction Sensitive Firm Bumps Should be Gone by 3-4 Months

+4

Thank you for your question. The firm sensitive bumps you describe after your Liposuction are common the first month after surgery. Massage and heat should help.

Bumps that persist after 6 months can be scarring from fat necrosis and may require surgical treatment.

Bumps after liposuction

+2

Thanks for the photos!  They are very helpful. It may be fluid or firm fatty tissue that has adhered to the overlying skin.  Often massage and time improve this. Of course, nothing beats an exam in person to better appreciate the problem.  You should definitely see your surgeon.  Good luck.

Post-Lipsuction Hard Areas

+2

When you stop and think for a minute, disregarding the marketing hype, pushing a steel tube on high suction back and forth through your subcutaneous fat is a controlled traumatic event. It is hardly "uninvasive". Like all trauma, liposuction causes variable degrees of injury and inflammation which require recovery. In your case, you should consult with your surgeon. Various modalities such as external ultrasound and lymphatic massage have been shown to hasten the resultion of inflammation and softening of the lipsctioned tissues. 

Lumps after liposuction

+1

With time, massage, stretching and some heating pads, that area should soften up. The tissues beneath the skin are indurated but that should get better.

Julio Garcia, MD

Unsatisfactory contour following liposuction

+1

As with most post op concerns, it would serve you and your surgeon best to follow up with them.  You are really relatively early in your post op course.  When I notice post op irregularity post liposuction I recommend Endermology around 6 weeks post op.  Your surgeon may have a preference of modalities to help you through this issue.  Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sorry for your issues. Healing can take months and months. Try lymphatic massages or external ultrasound.