How Long Does It Take to See Results from Spironolactone?

I was on 50mg of Spironolactone for a month. Then my derm increased the amount to 100mg about 3 weeks ago. How long does this take to kick in? Will it help prevent cystic breakouts? Also, I've been reading on some acne boards that certain manufacturers don't work as well. Is there any truth to this?

+2

It will take at least 4 weeks to start seeing the results, it is no magic that in 1 or 2 days will improve. However, even if you don't see a big difference, don't quit your medication unless a dermatologist indicates to do it. Spironolactone is indicated when we determine that an hormonal influence is one of the 4 factors that contributes to acne.  

Mexico Dermatologist

Spironolactone and acne

+2

For any acne medication of any kind, you will start seeing changes at about one month in. This is why many people become frustrated and think meds aren't working. You have to give them enough time to actually make changes within the skin - which takes a minimum of a month. For a medication to be a generic form of a branded medication, it needs to be essentially the same; however, there will be some very minor differences, which is what differentiates one from the other. Usually the differences aren't noticeable and don't affect efficacy, but some people may claim so.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD