How Long Does It Take to See Results of Erbium Yag Laser for Acne Scars?

I had erbium yag 7 days ago for acne scarring (moderate to severe including ice pick scars). I healed very quickly, in about 5 days, however I see no results. My doctor advises that I need to be patient, and that it could take months, even up to a year, to see the results. That being said, shouldn't I see something in a week? I'm concerned that the procedure did nothing.

Erbium laser results and how long will it take

+1

I usually tell people that resurfacing as a single approach will give people anywhere from 10-30% improvement in your scars. This can even be exaggerating. To help your acne you should undergo a multilayered approach to shock the scars from below and above. Results from lasers can take up to 2 years to get better. We do co2 laser resurfacing with a multiple layered technique to get the best results.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expect modest improvement only from Erbium laser resurfacing

+1

For icepick scarring, erbium laser resurfacing, whatever type, yields modest improvement only, and may take about 3 months to achieve. CROSS reconstruction with 60-90% TCA peeling solution using toothpick applicators is the best additional treatment in my opinion, but takes several treatments about 6 weeks apart to achieve optimal results. Good luck!

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to see results from the Erbium Laser for Acne Scars

+1

There are several different kinds of Erbium lasers available, and each takes a different length of time to see results. There are short-pulsed machines, long-pulsed machines, and fractionated machines.

For all, there should be results for superficial acne scars that can be seen as soon as 1-2 weeks after the procedure. Final results can take months to appreciate.

For ice pick scars, resurfacing alone is usually not effective as the scars are often excised (cut out) and this can be followed by resurfacing after.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon