How Long Will Sculptra Bumps Last and How Can I Make Them Go Away ?

Effects of Sculptra injections

+2

When Sculptra was first being used clinically, it wasn't prepared in a very dilute manner and there was a greater chance of having nodules form that might not have resolved on their own.  I haven't had any experience over the last two years with nodules in a Sculptra patient.  We are careful to tell people to perform some firm massage over the treated areas.  We advise massage for 5 minutes, 5 times a day, for 5 days.  If you have some firm areas even after that time period, it may be a large deposition of Sculptra, a bruise, or residual swelling.  So, give it time and continue some manual massage a few times daily.  If a firm nodule persists for several weeks, bring it to the attention of your plastic surgeon.  We have had success in the past injecting some sterile water into the area followed by some massage.

Sculptra Bumps

+1

Early nodules from Sculptra injections typically appear one to three months after treatment and most spontaneously disappear. Later nodules can occur from six months to three years and are larger and more inflamed. They usually appear abruptly and are accompanied by swelling and discoloration. These are often referred to as “granulomas”. These can usually be treated by steroid injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon