Saline Rinse After Rhinoplasty?

For how long do I have to use saline rinse after rhinoplasty? I've been using it three times daily for 11 days post-op (starting the morning after surgery), and I feel great - no more crusting in the nose, no more blood, no more bruising, no more swelling. You'd never know that I'd had anything done! How long does this cleaning regimen usually continue?

Saline Rinse after Rhinoplasty

+1

Saline is usually helpful for the first 1-2 weeks after nasal surgery. The amount of blood and 'crusting' in the nose varies from patient to patient and depends upon the amount of work done on the nose. I recommend saline drops/spray or rinses to all my nasal surgery patients. It really speeds up the cleaining out of the nose. Many patients like it even long after the surgery as it is a gentle way to cleanse the nose. Best of Luck

Rhinoplasty Post Operative Care

+1

The care after rhinoplasty, if it is cosmetic in nature, is quite simple. Saline rinses are recommended, but not essential after cosmetic rhinoplasty if nothing is done internally. If you have an internal reconstruction done with your rhinoplasty then saline rinses are very helpful as they help to keep the internal nasal mucosa moisturized in your recovery. I encourage my patients to use it quite frequently, three to four times a day for about three to four weeks.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Saline Rinse after rhinoplasty

+1

The inside nsal lining heals very quickly after rhinoplasty if you keep it clean and moist. It sounds like you have been doing his religiously, which is really great. I commend patients who follow doctor's recommendations to the letter, as surgery involves two people--the patient and the doctor. Cooperation and trust can make for a beautiful outcome! Taht being said, sounds like you can probably stop the saline rinses after 11 days. I generally don't prescribe them and recommend that patients use a humidifier if neceessary depending on the climate and such.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Follow the guidelines your surgeon discussed with you

+1

Recommendations vary between surgeons based on personal experiences with their own rhinoplasty patients.  You will do best continuing rinses for the length of time your surgeon recommended.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saline rinses after rhinoplasty.

+1

You can stop now since the nose will take care of itself from now on. Each surgeon uses a different method of cleaning the nose.

Congestion of nasal passages after rhinoplasty

+1

Congestion can persist for several months after rhinoplasty and threrefore this may require ongoing rinses as long as the swelling persists.

Saline spray for nose

+1

This is something that you should ask your doctor. hem ay have a different regimen than others.  Saline mists may be helpful until he allows you to blow your nose.

When to stop saline rinses after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Bob,

I usually tell patients to use the nasal saline spray starting right after surgery to help clean out dried blood, blot, and crusts.  If you aren't having any problems with these problems, you can feel safe to stop.  

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saline spray after rhinoplasty

+1

Saline spray is a comfort issue after rhinoplasty which we start at six days after when the splint is removed. We use one called Ayr, just a short spray and a gentle sniff, not actually a rinse, to keep the nose moist and reduce any crusting. One week or two at most will do and then you should be able to stop.

peterejohnsonmd

How long to use saline rinse after rhinoplasty

+1

I leave it up to my patients to decide when to stop using saline rinses. There's no harm in doing them longer. One thing you could do would be to just cut down to 1 or 2 times a day at first rather than just stopping.

The rinses mainly help with gently cleaning out the dry blood and crusting during the initial healing process. If you have any internal dissolvable sutures, the rinses will also help the sutures dissolve.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD