How Long Until I Can Return to Kickboxing? 1 Months Post Eyelid Surgery. (photo)

My bleph was completed one month and one day ago. The swelling is still present, quite substantially over one eye. I am keen to get back to kickboxing, I have been hitting the pads but its not the same, I'm desperate to start sparring again. Is it wise to go back now or should I wait until the swelling goes down? there has been no change over the last few weeks and I can't see it disappearing any time soon either. Will being hit on that eye slow the recovery or at this point does it not matter?

Wait longer to return to kick boxing.

+2

As one of your lids has not fully healed yet and still has some swelling, it is premature to resume your sport.  One well placed punch or kick could completely undo or worsen the eyelid correction you had created at surgery.  Allow at least 3 months for all the tissues to mature before resuming your sport.  Then consider head gear with eye protectors to lessen the chances of future damage.

Kickboxing after blepharoplasty

+2
The concern with kickboxing would be a blunt trauma to the eyelid. Since you are still swollen, I would recommend that you avoid this activity until 3 months postop as being hit in the eye would definitely delay healing and could damage the surgical outcome.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Post-op workouts after blepharoplasty

+2

First, swelling may persist for several months and may worsen with exercise.  If you are kick boxing and it is full contact, you should probably wait 2-3 months and speak with your surgeon.

Eyelid Surgery and Kickboxing

+2

You still have a lot of swelling for one month after surgery.  I would still advise you to not to participate in kickboxing at this point.  The increased exertion will increase the swelling and slow your recovery.   Additionally, there is a chance that you may receive a direct blow to your eyes which obviously injury the eye and associated areas including the surgical area.  This may have a greater risk of happen because your vision may be hampered by the swelling you have currently.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Return to kick boxing after eyelid surgery

+2

If you still have swelling present, I feel you are not healed well enough to return to kickboxing. Premature return could lead to the incisions opening up or prolonged swelling. I would wait until the swelling is gone.

Julio Garcia, MD

Kickboxing after Surgery

+1

Ask your surgeon about when it is a good time to return to doing physical activities. I generally tell my patients no heavy exercise, bending, lifting, swimming or sports for at least 6 weeks following surgery, unless otherwise noted. HOWEVER, kickboxing (if a full-contact sport) can lead to disruption or injury of your repair if directly struck in the area of surgery.   Prematurely returning to the sport could lengthen your recovery time and potentially damage your results.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Kickboxing after eyelid surgery...

+1

After Eyelid surgery, you should wait 2 weeks until strenuous activity, and you should not participate in contact sports until all swelling is resolved and you have been given the OK by your surgeon.  Returning too soon can slow down the healing process and even damage the results.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon to discuss what he/she thinks is best for you. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

You're kidding right?

+1

It is not inappropriate for you to ask surgeons who are not directly taking care of you to address this question.  This questions can only be meaningfully answered by the surgeon who operated on you.  That surgeon I suspect will be very concerned that kick boxing probably was the reason why you needed eyelid surgery in the first place.  Further trauma to a healing eyelid can completely destroy the surgical result.  By the way if kick boxing has damaged your face, consider what being kick in the head is doing to your brain.  In my opinion, if you are serious about maintaining your surgical result, you should consider finding a different sport.