How Long Can I Use Restylane?

I've been considering Restylane to fill my hollow eye and upper cheek area but I am a bit worried about the long term consequences. Several doctors warn that Restylane damages tissue with repeated use, no matter how good the doctor is. Most celebrities (Madonna, Jennifer A, Courtney C, Nicole K, etc) eventually choose implants to fill large volumes in the cheek area. My question: When do you opt for fillers and when do you switch to implants? Is tissue damage a consideration in this choice?

Fillers like Restylane, Perlane, or Radiesse are excellent for cheeks: implants not needed.

+1

Europe,
If you have never had any kind of filler treatments, I would definitely recommend starting with the least permanent treatment (performed by a SKILLED, serious, board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon), making sure you like how it looks, and then trying longer lasting ones after that, only once they wear off. If you get to the point of considering implants, you have gone a long way and I would be very careful about making that choice. I have rarely seen cheek implants that look natural.

Long Term Restylane Use

+1

Restylane is excellent option for improvement and correction of under eye hollowness.  We tend to prefer Radiesse for improvement or augmentation of the upper cheek area. .  None of my patients have ever reported, nor have I read any data, that shows problems such as tissue damage from long term use of Restylane or Radiesse injections and feel that it does in fact stimulate new collagen. Implants are not an option for hollowness of the tear troughs.

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane or Cheek Implants?

+1

Hi Europe4154.  We believe that surgical implants and injection procedures are both good options to consider for you.  For the hollow under eye area, we would not recommend an implant but rather a lower blephoraplasty or Restylane injections.  For the cheeks, implants or Radiesse are our preferred options.

Finally, we do not know of any research that shows that hyaluronic acid (HA) products like Restylane "damage tissue" and we wonder where you are getting that information.  On the contrary, repeated use of HA products can actually stimulate the development of new collagen.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Implants vs fillers

+1

I always hated cheek implants.  Never liked the positioning of them and the potential complications..  I think the fillers are a great way to augment the cheeks.