How Long is It Required to Wear the Compression Garment After Liposmart?

My doctor recommended me to wear the liposmart garment after surgery for 4 months. I'm 2 months out and I am wondering if that is long enough because I feel nothing is happening.

Compression Garment Length of use varies

+2

A Compression Garment Necessary for Best Results following Liposuction. The length of time is highly dependent on the amount of fat removed, the elasticity of your skin, presence of stretch marks, your age and race and other factors. Bottom line is follow your plastic surgeon's advice for the best outcome.

Here are the reasons why:
Following Liposuction compression garments are required for three main reasons:
It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking
It is common for weight gain due to edema and serum that collects in the area as well as the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially the quicker this fluid resolves.
The length of time that the garment is worn varies dependent on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advise. However in general this is the routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression  garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in and confirm that it fits well.
Most important advise is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy.
For most patients, I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6-12 weeks. In your case your surgeon felt that a longer period is necessary. Ask him these reasons. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.

Use of compression garments after liposuction

+1

Every surgeon will have his or her own protocol, but in my practice I advocate wearing compression garments after liposuction for two weeks.  After that I have patients perform a "poke test": if you poke yourself where you had liposuction and it is still tender then put the garments back on for another week.  Repeat this weekly until there is no more tenderness.

Daniel Greenwald, MD