How Long Should It Take to Replace an Implant After Its Been Taken out

I developed hematoma in my left breast and my dr has decided to remove the implant to let the infection clear up. Once Im back to a healthy point he will put it back in. How long does it usually take before my body will be ready for the new implant and will the healing process be the sam?

How soon can a Breast Implant removed for Infection be Replaced?

+2

Regarding: "How Long Should It Take to Replace an Implant After Its Been Taken out
I developed hematoma in my left breast and my dr has decided to remove the implant to let the infection clear up. Once Im back to a healthy point he will put it back in. How long does it usually take before my body will be ready for the new implant and will the healing process be the sam
?"

Breast implants are usually not removed after a hematoma but have to be removed after an infection or infected hematoma. The area can be safely operated on when all infection and inflammation are gone and the surrounding breast tissues are soft and supple. That can take anywhere from 5-8 months, depending on the woman. Check with your surgeon when he thinks your tissues are ready for this procedure.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Replacing Breast Implants after Hematoma?

+1
I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced.
Replacement of the breast implant will likely have to wait several months ( and even up to a year)  depending on the exact situation.  It will become a judgment call based on the severity and location of infection.  For example,  if there was significant bacterial contamination of the breast implant pocket then the longer you wait, the better.

Removing breast implants

+1

I would wait about 3 months before replacing your implants.  This way, the tissues will be well healed and recovered before the next procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Implant replacement after hematoma and infection

+1

I think that after a hematoma and infection, you need to wait at least 3-4 months for things to settle down and soften beofre considering replacing the implant. 

Intracapsular hematoma, infection, and implant removal and replacement

+1

Most surgeons would advise waiting at least 3 months and preferably up to 6 months before considering placing another implant in you. It would also help to know the reason for your hematoma.

When To Re-Implant After Implant Removal

+1

Well, if it was just a hematoma, and there were no medical reasons for the hematoma, i.e. bleeding disorders, then there is no need to wait to replace the implants. If it was an infected hematoma that led to removal of the implants, then the timing for reinserting the implants is based on how severe the infection was, what the bacteria was, as well as the quality of the tissues. I would recommend waiting about 6 months before replacing the implants after an infection.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Re-implantation period after removal of implants

+1

Depending on the healing quality of each patient, I would suggest waiting between four to six months before attempting to re-implant.  I would also suggest putting the patient on antibiotics starting the night before the surgery and continue for 10 days after.

V. William Papanastasiou, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend leaving the implant after for atleast 3 months following an infection.

+1

Generally, I would recommend leaving the implant after for atleast 3 months following an infection. However, following hematoma without an infection there is no reason why the implant can't be replaced immediately.

The reason for leaving the implant out after infection is to allow the inflammation to settle to reduce the risk of you develop bigger further infection.

I wish you the best of luck with your treatment.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Implant infection

+1

After Breast Implant Infection, the implant must be removed. Treat the infection, determine the bacteria through cultures.

Depending on the bacteria and severity of infection wait 6-12 months before you out back the implants back again.