How Long Will It Take to Remove a All Black Tattoo the Size of a Quarter on my Right Hand? Backside. (photo)

I have a small black tattoo on the back of my right that is the size of a quarter. I got it 4 years ago. How many sessions would it take to remove this? And how much do you think it will cost? I may have to have this removed in order to join the military.

Check out the PicoSure

+1

The PicoSure laser from Cynosure is the laser which will remove this tattoo in the fewest number of sessions in my opinion although different manufacturers say different things.  I have used several lasers (but not all) and find it to work very well.  I have seen MANY people in your situation of wanting to join a police force or the military or even work at an amusement park and unable to do so because of a tattoo.

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

PicoSure: The Most Time-Efficient Tattoo Removal Laser

+1

If you have a sense of urgency and/or a deadline to remove your tattoo, the PicoSure would be your best option.  Generally requiring half as many treatments as older nano-technology, you can reasonably expect the PicoSure to remove this small black tattoo in 5 or fewer sessions, facilitating your reporting to duty.

Fair winds and Following Seas....

Edward Rohaly, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Laser and Tattoo Removal

+1

It can take anywhere between 4-12 sessions to remove the tattoo depending on many factors.  A board certified dermatologist experienced in laser procedures may charge beween $150-$250 per session.  I recommend going to a laser specialist experienced in tattoo removal. 

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Black Ink Easy to Remove

+1

Was your tattoo a cover up?  Was it professionally done? These are two things that can affect how many treatments you will need. In general, black tattoos of your size are much easier to remove with laser than tattoos that have brighter colors in them such as red, orange and yellow. It could take up to 6  laser treatments done 6-8 weeks apart.  The cost of treatment could vary depending on the area you live.  Most practices will offer patients numbing cream to ease the discomfort associated with the laser.  Make sure you go to a provider experienced in tattoo removal to prevent scarring.

Aurora Badia, DO
Fort Myers Dermatologist

Tattoo removal varies based on the pigment

+1

It can take anywhere from 5 to 6 treatments spaced about 6 weeks apart to remove most of the pigment from this tattoo.  Cost varies in your area.  Most important is to find someone experienced because I have seen many instances of laser removal where the tattoo looks worse from improper treatment.  Please find an experienced dermatologist and good look with the military.

Michele S. Green, MD

Tattoo Removal

+1

You are not alone. An estimated 20 million Americans sport tattoos. Laser technology has made great strides in eliminating tattoos. The laser's short pulses of intense light pass harmlessly through the top layers of the skin and are absorbed by the tattoo pigment. This causes the tattoo pigment to fragment into smaller particles that are then removed by the body's immune system. With the array of state-of-the-art lasers, these all help to remove tattoos of all colors, shapes, and sizes, but it will take several treatments.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD