How Long is Recovery from Capsular Contraction Surgery? How Long Before I Can Lift Weights?

I am 3 months post op from breast aug surg with 280 cc silicone implants placed under the muscle.I have capsular contraction in the left he didnt give me a grade im guessin 2 its not too hard just very fixed and high.The right has mild bottoming out. He wants to fix both after 6 months. Do I need new implants? How long is recovery? If I wait 6 months would it matter to wait longer? I'm still massaging it's helped it from getting worse and maybe kept things softer but I doubt it's going to drop.

Capsular Contracture and Implant Change

+1

If you have a capsular contracture, then the implants should be changed at the time of surgery.  One of the theories on contracture has to do with biofilm on the implants.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Capsular contracture

+1

If it is a true capsular contracture then you probably need to have the implants removed and exchanged.

Capsular Contracture- Recovery After Surgery

+1

Capsular contracture requires surgical intervention that involves removing the hardened capsule and replacing the implant to prevent recurrence. The recovery from this procedure is typically easier than the initial augmentation because the muscle has already been elevated and the skin has already stretched out.  Light exercise can typically be resumed in two to four weeks and increased as tolerated.
Six months is a reasonable amount of time to wait to allow for the implant that is “bottoming out” to settle, as long as the capsular contracture is manageable for you and there are no indications for having surgery sooner.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Implant malposition after augmentation

+1

does create the look you describe.  I would encourage you to not give up on your massaging and even, upper pole pressure on the high side if you have been instructed on how to do that.  There is still  a chance you could improve your symmetry and avoid surgery.  If you have a capsule truly developing, you may need a reoperation to improve your results.  You should discuss the best ways of avoiding another contracture with your surgeon so you can pick and choose from the many things that are attempted to diminish the risk for contractures.

Curtis Wong, MD

Recovery after capsulotomy

+1

The recovery after surgery for capsular contracture, capsulotomy or capsulectomy is significantly easier and shorter than recovery from primary breast augmentation.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

How Long is Recovery from Capsular Contraction Surgery?

+1

Usually the amount of discomfort is less than from the first augmentation operation, but the recovery period for exercise should be about the same, and this decision should be made by your surgeon, not by an online consultant who has not seen you.

There is controversy about replacing implants. If the implant is soft and the capsule appears normal, many would use the same implant. If the capsule is thick, many would exchange the implant. If this is a soft implant that is not positioned correctly in that it didn't "drop" like the other, leaving the implant makes sense to me, but again, the operating surgeon should make that evaluation. 

As far as time goes, we often suggest a six month wait because many issues resolve as the implants settle. There is no maximum time--if you wind up needing a second operation, it can be done at any time after the 6 months. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Thanks and best wishes.