How Long a Recovery Before Giving Massages?

I am a massage therapist. I'm wondering how quickly I could go back to work after a breast lift and augmentation.

Returning to work after surgery

+1

Because of the type of work you do, you probably want to wait 4-6 weeks after surgery to return to work.  You will want to do progress gradually, so you may want to begin with some stretching a week or so before to see how you feel.  Your plastic surgeon is best qualified to give you a more specific answer.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Activity allowed after breast augmentation ...

+1

Honestly, this question is best answered by the surgeon that performed your procedure because there are many different styles of practice and beliefs.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation and lift

+1

As a massage therapist, your work involves strenuous activity.  I generally advise patients to avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks after surgery. You need to give time for your incisions to heal.  Please ask your PS what his/her recommendations are since he/she is most familiar with your procedure.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Giving Massages after breast surgery

+1

I would recommend 4-6 weeks before giving any deep tissue massage post breast augmentation if it is performed under the muscle.  If an augmentation is performed over the muscle then 3-4 weeks would be sufficient.  Main thing to consider is performing deep tissue (or any aggressive massage) requires quite a bit of pectoralis muscle use and we want to avoid this for the first 4-6 weeks.  Perhaps you can modify your massages for the first several weeks post surgery.  Good luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Returned to Massage Therapy after Breast Surgery?

+1

As you know, massage therapy involves significant use of the arms and (probably) the pectoralis muscles. Therefore, I recommend my patients take a longer period of time off work,  than patients who returned to a desk job. You may need at least 3-4 weeks off before returning to massage therapy.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you best depending on how your recovery is progressing.