How Long Does It Take Radiesse to Soften?

I had radiesse injected for cheekbone enhancement exactly 2 weeks ago. It appears as though the swelling has mostly gone down. But the radiesse feels almost hard to the touch in some areas, especially the lowest park of the cheek that was injected (or, the fullest part of the smile). Please tell me that this softens as the gel dissolves. I am very concerned about a hardening effect. I also had visible bruising with this treatment and the last of it faded only about 2 days ago. Anything I can do?

Massage can help avoid hardening of Radiesse

+2

No, the Radiesse won't harden but it sounds like you might have a slight accumulation, of the Radiesse, in that spot.  I always massage and mold the Radiesse to the desired shape after the injections to avoid such issues.  You should contact the MD that did the Radiesse injections and see if you're able to massage the area.

Radiesse often looks the best about 1 month after getting it.

+2

Radiesse causes swelling and bruising for the first 1-2 weeks and then softens at about 1 month. Radiesse runs about 650 per syringe.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse firmer than other hyaluranic acid fillers

+2

Radiesse is a firmer filler than other hyaluranic acid fillers that are "soft" due to the absorption of water around the molecule. The firmness of Radiesse is advantageous by providing structural support to lax tissues. One can often feel fillers, while not visible and this is also normal; however as the product is naturally broken down by the body it will soften.

Brusing following injectionsis normal and varies from person, and usually resolved in 1-2 weeks.

Andrea Willey, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse takes a few weeks to soften

+2

Radiesse is a great filler that lasts longer than some of the other popular fillers. It is common to remain stiff/firm/hard for a few weeks. It tends to soften and settle into place after 2 weeks.  If you had significant bruising or swelling that occurred during the injection, then this firmness may last a few weeks longer.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Swelling and Firmness after injections with Radiesse

+1

Greetings~

It is not uncommon to remain bruised, swollen and firm for a number of weeks following injections.  Don't worry. When you apply moisturizer or sunscreen massage the areas that were injected, being careful not to just rub the skin and irritate the skin but actually applying pressure to the deeper layers of the face where the injections occurred.  If ever you have any questions or concerns about a procedure, call and follow up with the office that injected you so they can get a clear look at what may be going on and are better able to give you accurate advice and continue to observe your progress.  

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Hoe Long for Radiesse to Soften

+1

The area of augmentation  with Radiesse will soften. The bruising was secondary to bleeding, which can also cause the firmness you feel. Be patient - regardless of the etiology, this will resolve.

Radiesse is firm but can feel soft without being rock hard

+1

Compared with Restylane and Juvederm, Radiesse is a more viscous filler and its firmer structure lends itself to be able to support a larger mass.  Rarely a nodule may form but in general, the Radiesse feeing firmer than Restylane and Juvederm should not fee rock hard.  If there is a hematoma contributing to the bruising, the hematoma (collection of blood) may become very firm and this is possibly what you are feeling. It may soften with time, massage and warm, not hot, compresses. Ask your doctor.

Ronald Shelton, MD

How long for Radiesse firmness to resolve

+1

Radiesse is an excellent filler to add both volume and structure to the cheekbones. Radiesse firmness does resolve after a few weeks.  Radiesse itself completely dissolves after one year.  For now, you just need to give it some more time. It sounds like the cosmetic result of the Radiesse injections was good other than the firmness you feel.

In addition, if you had significant bruising, that in itself can give a hardening that lasts several weeks. 

Once the gel carrier dissolves after 2-3 months, the calcium hydroxylapatite crystals will promote deposition of your own collagen in the injected area.  Eventually the crystals are dissolved into calcium and phosphate ions that are taken away by the body.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse feeling hard to the touch

+1

Radiesse usually takes several months for the gel matrix to be absorbed and the area to look and feel more natural. The bruising you experienced may have added to the degree of inflammation which should begin to soften much sooner.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse and softening.

+1

It may take a few months, but will go away. This is the advantage of using fillers that are temporary. With a permanent filler causing a visible bump only surgery will fix it.