How Long for Radiesse Nightmare to Dissolve Under Eyes?

A board certified plastic surgeon convinced me to have radiesse under the eyes in the tear trough area three weeks ago. One eye is sunken, yet puffy with a red rim. The other (which never had a bag before) has a huge red mound with a spaghetti-like noodle of radiesse there. I can see the shape of the radiesse under the skin. It is huge like a tea bag. When will it start going down? When will it completely go away? What intervention can I do? Can it be excised? HELP!!!

Patience is the key for Radiesse overfill and irregularities

+3

Radiesse has a fairly long duration of persistence and in many tissues may take up to a year to go away. In the tear trough, however, its persistence may be longer based on how other shorter-acting injectable fillers last in that area. While it is frustrating to have a result that you do not like, you must be careful to not rush in and do other treatments that may cause their own set of problems...and may even make the situation worse. I would massage the area regularly and give it more time to see how it settles. Time is your friend with this problem. If it shows no sign of improvement after several months, then I would consider exploring treatment options. If it is improving, give it more time.

Radiesse under the eye

+3

Sorry to hear your plight. Radiesse was a not the best choice for injection under the eye. It has a tendency to get bumpy. also the injection should be deep in that area, just abov the periostium (the bone). Retylane would have been a better choice, it tends to be smoother and softer. But now that is done rest assured that it WILL go away beacuse radiesse will be ansorbed eventually thougn it may take some time. There are no specific treatments to hasten this although gentle(!) pressure will help smoothe the area.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse may last more than a year

+3

Radiesse may last more than a year. if it is surgically removed, it may leave indented scars. Try not to have something done that is aggressive as it may leave more of a mark. Over time it should improve.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lots of Patience, It Will Resolve

+2

In the short term, I advise oral as well as topical Arnica to reduce any bruising and swelling.  Unfortunately, this could take a while to resolve, minimally a year.  But it gradually improves.  I have seen it take a few years.  What you can do, once all the swelling from the procedure has resolved, is to try and correct the way it looks by having Juvederm or Restylane injected--this is to compensate for any hollows caused by the Radiesse.  I suggest you go back to the doctor who performed this procedure.  Work with him.  I advise against cutting it out.  The scars will be permanent.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Fillers under the eyes

+2

I personally prefer to use Restylane to treat hollows under the eyes.  Witout much movement in this area, products tend to last longer (as compared to areas like the nasolabial folds, where there is a lot of movement). Restylane may last more than a year when placed under the eye. 

Radiesse tends to last longer than Restylane in the skin.  In the nasolabial folds, Radiesse can last longer than a year.  So if place under the eyes, Radiesse will likely last even longer.

Unlike the hyaluronic acid fillers (like Restylane / Perlane / Juvederm), which can be removed wtih an enzyme called hyaluronidase, there is no eraser for Radiesse.  The best treatment for overfilling with Radiesse is a tincture of time.  Over months to years, your body will remove the product itself.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Radiesse Problem Under the Eyes.

+2

Hi Jean.  Unfortunately, this was the wrong product to use in this area.  Restylane or Juvederm are much better suited.  But that is past history and only for future reference.

The decision about whether to undergo a surgical excision is not a trivial one.  We would suggest first starting with your injector to find out what his/her opinion is.  From there, you should get a second and third opinion.  While surgery is an option, it may not be a better one than waiting for the product to dissipate as there are risks associated with removal of the product.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Fillers

+2

Unfortunately, I always advise to be very conservative in that area for results like you are experiencing may occur. Also, it is better to use restylane, juvederm or Prevelle there for there is an antidote and it can be dissolved. Radiesse is excellent filler but it does last much longer and either you wait for it to dissolve(months) or possibly excise it. I would definitely return to your doctor. Maybe you are having an allergic reaction and possibly cortisone injections/antibiotics may help!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in the tear trough

+2

You need to return to your plastic surgeon or another physician who has extensive experience in the use of fillers. In my experience, Radiesse can persist for over a year. I would avoid surgical removal if at all possible, but I would discuss this with a facial plastic or plastic surgeon. Personally, I never use Radiesse in the tear trough. I prefer to use Restylane, which I feel gives more natural results that can be long-lasting in this area of the face.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse

+2

Radiesse lasts about one year. However in the tear trough I have seen it last foreever. You have a problem, consult two or three BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEONS (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY).

Correction can be very difficult and some times impossible depending on the location of the fillers. If it is in the muscle it is very difficult because you do not want to destroy the muscle.

You need to make sure you do not have infection of the Radiesse.