Puddle of Fluid on Lower Abdomen - Will it Go Away?

I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago. And was just removing the excess fat i am happy with the result thus far. Just a lil anxious about the fluid. Im wondering also should i be dieting during the healing . And could i take water pills. Ive been wearing the garment,spanks,ace bandages. Would like to know how long i should i wear them to get the best result. Thank you. Also, my thighs are hard - should they be?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Persistent fluid 2 years after Tummy Tuck

+1

I have to agree. If you have a collection of fluid that has persisted for over 2 years, you most likely have a layer of scar tissue surrounding the fluid (like a balloon) that needs to be surgically removed if you want the pocket of fluid to go away. On the other hand, it may just be fat. There is no way to know which it is without examining you. Talk with your plastic surgeon

Web reference: http://www.DiscoverTheBeauty.com

? Fluid puddle 2 years post-op

+2

If you had a seroma or fluid collection for over 2 years after your TT, in all likelihood you could wear compression till the cows come home and it would not change.  A true fluid collection this long will need surgical intervention to correct.  Now if this is only fat then a simple liposuction make help dramatically.  Why not see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fluid Collection after Tummy Tuck

+1

If you truly have a fluid collection two years after your tummy tuck / abdominoplasty, it is very unusual.  However, it would require drainage to remove the fluid.  However, you may considering having an ultrasound to evaluate the area to ensure that it is truly fluid.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Fat yes, fluid no, two years after tummy tuck

+1

A fluid collection after tummy tuck will resolve with drainage, aspiration in the office, or time. The fullness you have in your lower abdomen is no longer fluid and is probably fat, or some remaining skin laxity. Liposuction may be just the thing to smooth  and contour the area. Also, a sensible diet and exercise is a great idea, diuretics probably not.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Puddle of fluid on lower abdomen

+1
Can you clarify? It sounds like you had an abdominoplasty 2 years ago and recently had liposuction? You mentioned 'dieting during the healing' so I assume you had a recent procedure. A collection of fluid under the skin after liposuction or abdominoplasty is likely a seroma and can be drained in the office by your surgeon. If seromas are present for a long period of time, they can organize and are then more difficult to treat. Please be careful with dieting and taking diuretics; this can lead to dehydration.
Washington Plastic Surgeon

Fluid collection after two years from a tummy tuck

+1

It is rare to have a true "fluid collection" 2 years after a tummy tuck, but not impossible.  Sometimes the examination may seem like fluid but it could be residual lipodystrophy (or fat).  My best recommendation is to follow up with your plastic surgery for an evaluation so that can be determined for sure.  If it is a true fluid pocket, then it is likely "encapsulated" and that is why the body is not naturally resorbing it.  If this is the case, then it must be surgically removed.  I would recommend making an appointment in the next 1-2 weeks to see your plastic surgeon so they can evaluate.  I also would not recommend taking water pills.  It is not safe to do unless you have a medical reason like high blood pressure and not healthy for your kidneys. I hope this helps and good luck.

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Web reference: http://www.BoyntonMD.com