How Long with Ptosis Last After Eye Trauma?

Last Wednesday night something flew into my eye when weed wacking. I went to the eye doctor Thursday because my eye was drooping. It was examined my vision was normal and there was nothing in the eye and no scratches. Sent home to do cold artificial tears for a day. I have still been doing them and putting ice packs on and I have had no improvement. I personally think its worse. Will this improve and is there anything else I can do at home, or should I go back to the eye dr?

Ptosis After Eye Trauma?

+1

Thank you for your question. The swelling can persist for several weeks up to a month or slightly longer. When the swelling is gone, you should be getting close to normal. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

It is essential that your examination be very thorough.

+1

Your ophthalmologist may not have done a sufficiently through examination.  It is one thing if you are getting better.   It is a whole other matter if you are actually getting worse.  I think it is critical that you get yourself seen by an oculoplastic surgeon urgently.  I would seriously consider getting a CT scan.  The weed wacker can strike something that then penetrates the orbit.  Your ophthalmologist may have only examined you for a corneal abrasion.  Please do not sit at home if you are getting worse.  Consider taking yourself to an emergency room if you can't arrange urgent care for yourself today and ask for an oculoplastic surgeon to assess you.  If you have the option of going to a University based emergency room, that is much better option than a community hospital emergency room.  Time can be of the essence.  Please consider reposting and letting us know how things went.

Eyelid ptosis after trauma

+1

You should an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist, promptly especially if getting worse. If related to normal swelling/bruising, it should last a few days but there are causes of eyelid ptosis (droopiness) as it relates to trauma, etc. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon