How long does post-operative swelling last after septoplasty in comparison to rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 7 months ago to remove a hump on the bridge and round the tip. I had a deviated septum before the surgery but never noticed it in terms of my appearance. After my rhinoplasty the deviated septum is far more obvious. It looks crooked. The obviousness of the crookedness changes throughout the day. Could my deviated septum have gotten worse or is it swelling? should I consider septoplasty? How long does the nose look swollen afterwards? i hope not as long as rhinoplasty.

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Asymmetry after nasal surgery

+1

Crookedness or asymmetry may have multiple causes, such as the nasal bones (if they were fractured), the septum, or the bridge and tip cartilages. This can be accentuated in the early phase when the nose is still swollen, so it is almost always worth waiting for a full year before intervening. At that point consult with your surgeon to see what options are available for correction. A septoplasty alone does not incur much swelling for most patients.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty contributing to septal devation?

+1

If your surgeon didn't perform a septoplasty (for cartilage harvesting for grafts) then it's unlikely your septal shifted after surgery.

However, you could have swelling that is causing the crookedness you are seeing. This fits your comment that the severity changes throughout the day.

You should be able to get more detailed information if you have a nasal surgeon examine your nose to get a better idea of what is going on.

In the meantime you can learn more about septal deviation repair at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD