How Long Post Op Will I Need Home Care?

I am having TT, fat grafting on butt and lipo on trunk, thighs, and back flanks. I need to know how long I will need someone with me at home to help me. I live alone, other than 2 large dogs and I am not sure if I will need someone more than 5 days post op. Suggestions?

Post op recovery from a tummy tuck and lipo.

+1

Dear Db4758,

Let me start by mentioning that every patient is different and every surgeon has a different planning a surgery and its recovery.

Nonetheless, you cannot care for the dogs of yours especially that you cannot use your abdominal muscles extensively at first.

The first week post your surgery will be marked by a bent posture. Strenuous activity could lead to dehiscence (sutures pop-out) hence leading to bulging of a given area within your abdomen.

Therefore, recovery depends on rest mainly supplemented with the correct exercising.
I encourage you to consult with your surgeon to be able to plan your post-op ambulation, nutrition and rest.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.
Dr. Sajjadian

Recovery from a tummy tuck

+1

You should discuss your concerns in depth with your surgeon.  As not all tummy tucks are the same and every doctor has his/her own protocols for recovering from such surgery, it is best to share this information with him/her and allow him/her to work out a suitable plan for you.  Do not plan on doing much exertional activity or repetitive activities as you recover from your surgery.

Curtis Wong, MD

Home care after surgery

+1
You should do fine on your own within 5 days, except for those large dogs. You may find it more cost effective to send them to a doggie hotel for a vacation so you can rest up and consider engaging a dog walker for the first few weeks postop so you aren't dragged in their tow.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Home care after tummy tuck. liposuction, & buttock augmentation

+1

Because every surgeon has his/her own protocol for surgery and recovery, it is best to double check with your operating surgeon for his/her recommendations.  In general having all these procedures done at once, you will best be served by spending at least the first night or two in a recovery center that has nurses to monitor you and assist you.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Buttock Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

+1

Every physician has their own recommendations for post-operative care. On average, a procedure like this would need the assistance from someone for at least 1 week. As far as the large dogs, someone else would need to walk them during your initial recovery of 3 weeks.

I would also reconsider doing both procedures at once. I tell my patients to do the buttock augmentation first and then wait 6 months and do the tummy tuck. When doing both procedures at the same time, there isn't a good or safe way to recover. In order to get a permanent result with the buttock augmentation, you need to have a significant amount of fat tranferred to the buttock area. For post-op care, I recommend not to sit or lay on the buttock for at least 2 weeks. The recovery for the tummy tuck doesn't allow you to lie on the stomach so this increases the risk of undesired results, complications and can lead to a very difficult recovery.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Home care after surgery

+1

For a surgery such as tummy tuck and liposuciton, you likely need two days of help.  However, every patient is different has different requirements.  You definitely should not spend the first night alone.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Home Care

+1

Each surgeon has their own preference and will base their recommendations also on your own health history and status as well as the scope of the surgery. A few days is common to need assistance, but not necessarily full time assistance past the first day. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS