How Long Are Most People on Accutane?

I'm debating about talking to my dermatologist about getting Accutane. I have had moderate acne for YEARS and every time I go to the derma he just gives me something a "step up" but NOTHING has solved the problem completely. I only have moderate acne but it's incredibly persistent and annoying. What's the accutane time-line for people with moderate acne? How long would I be on/when would I see results?

Isotretinoin/Accutane length of treatment

+1

Dermatologists, in general, have a goal dosage in mind when treating patients with isotretinoin, and this dosage is weight-based and chosen such that most patients who fall in this range experience a prolonged "remission" of their acne.  Most patients, on ideal dosing at about 1 mg/kg, reach this range after 5-6 months of treatment.  Some patients, depending upon tolerability, may need a somewhat longer or, rarely, shorter course to reach goal levels.  In general, I would estimate 5-6 months in most patients.

Dallas Dermatologist

Duration of treatment with Accutane

+1

Normally the duration ranges from 4 to 6 months.  I recommend 6 months, starting with a lower dose and gradually increasing so that the body has time to adjust to more Accutane.

Accutane is the gold standard acne treatment and the only treatment that can actually cure acne.  It does have a number of potential side effects, but those are monitored by your dermatologist every month with blood work.

Also consider excluding all dairy and milk products from your diet.  That also helps with acne control.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon